26 Cheeleaders Stuck in Elevator are Rescued

26 Cheeleaders Stuck in Elevator are Rescued How many cheerleaders does it take to overload and elevator? Twenty-six, apparently.

In Austin, Texas on Tuesday, twenty-six cheerleaders attending cheerleading camp were rescued from an elevator that was stuck with the doors shut. Between 5:30 and 6:00 that night, the girls, ranging ages 14 to 17, decided to cram themselves in to an elevator in the Jester Residence Hall as a prank. They were trying to "see how many girls they could fit into the elevator," spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon said.

The overloaded elevator went from the fourth floor to the first floor, and malfunctioned, becoming stuck officials reported. Several of the girls passed out. The girls inside used their cell phones to call for emergency help once they realized the doors would not open. Police and firemen were called to the scene, and later called an area elevator repairman. Police report it took about twenty-five minutes to try and fix the doors.

Two girls were treated on the scene, while another was taken to the University Medical Center at Brackenridge. She was treated and released without incident.

University officials did not seem to find the prank funny. Rhonda Weldon said, "It's dangerous, actually. They're lucky that's all that happened."

Latest articles