Aftermath Of Toronto Explosions

Aftermath Of Toronto Explosions Recently in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, residents were woken at about 4 am to what sounded like bombs going off. Sunrise Propane Industrial Gases had gone ablaze and was lighting up the Toronto skyline with a series of giant mushroom-cloud explosions. Thousands were evacuated because of the incident.

After the fires had finally been contained by firefighters late in the day the news came in, one firer fighter was dead from propane fumes and smoke inhalation, and one man was still missing. The city of Toronto told residents they could return to their homes, but when residents arrived back in their neighborhood police turned them back saying the area was dangerous due to looting, structurally unstable buildings, and asbestos in the air from the propane.

When residents did return many were shocked and devastated with what they found at home. One elderly woman, upon returning home suffered a heart attack. The family says it is result of the incident and seeks money from the city although the case was dismissed on lack of evidence.

In the aftermath of the fires and explosions numerous residents and store owner from the effected areas joined together to form three class-action lawsuits against the city of Toronto. The concept behind the lawsuits being that the propane facility should not have been located in the middle of a residential area as it was.

The largest suit demands three-hundred million dollars in damages. It also sights negligence, nuisance, trespass, and liability from the city. The city has stated that it is not their fault and that the propane facility had been there longer then the houses, although the cases are on going.

The family of the still missing Sunrise employee fears the worst. Parmindar Saini was an immigrant from Bathinda, Punjab, India where his family still is based. Less then an hour before the explosions he spoke with his brother in India over the phone. Now when his brother phones his cell, it doesn't even ring. Saini had come to Canada after graduating as a mechanical engineer in India. After two days of searching rescuers recovery a severely charred body in the debris of the Sunrise facility, but it is not confirmed if it is Saini.

Latest articles