Journalists Missing In Somalia

Journalists Missing In Somalia The Somalian government is taking action in the wake of a kidnapping that is receiving international attention. Three journalists that were in Somalia were kidnapped when heading to a location where they were going to do a news report. The Somalian government declared Sunday that they will be instigating a very serious search for the journalists with help from the foreign countries involved in the incident.

The three reporters were kidnapped while making their way to a refugee camp near the dangerous capital of Mogadishu. A hotel security official at a hotel near where the incident took place witnessed the kidnapping. He stated that the journalists had been forced into an unmarked vehicle at gunpoint.

"We are getting information that they are still in captivity but their whereabouts are unknown," stated government spokesman Abdi Haji Gobdon told the press, "The ministry of information is closely following their situation."

Of the three journalists one was Australian, one Canadian, and one Somalian. The foreign reporters had both arrived on August 20th. They were kidnapped on a road between Mogadishu and Afgoye.

The Australian journalist has been confirmed as Nigel Brennan. The Canadian journalist has also been said to be Amanda Lindhout by the Canadian press. The Somalian journalist's identity has not been publicly released although government officials say his family has been informed. The families of all of the journalists are praying for their safe return.

The kidnapping is suspected to be part of a ransom plot. However there isn't enough hard evidence to confirm this theory. So the reason behind the kidnapping remains unknown. No matter the situation though, hopefully all of the kidnapped journalists will be returned safe and unharmed.

Latest articles