Australian's Illiterate Generation - Comments

  • beacatastrophe

    beacatastrophe (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    i actually believe that our ingenius creativity is sweeping over the nations and the teachers or any other authority figure who only believe is academics and mathematics are getting afraid, because this generation is the one that is going to think outside of the box. i believe that our stupidity is just mistaken for our intelligence in the world much like our earlier ancestors such as Einstein or Galileo. If anything, we are following after some of the greatest scientists and philosophers of our history instead of those pursuing money and Harvard.
    Art will prevail!
    Philosophy is making a comeback,
    and the teachers of the world are just scared that we will be greater than their 40,000 dollar annual salaries will ever be.
    the end.
    November 5th, 2008 at 04:17am
  • Iago-Disco

    Iago-Disco (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Hear hear, this generation is certainly less able than previous ones. Personally i think a lack of discipline is at least partially to blame. Schools are like "well, they don't enjoy maths, so lets play games instead". Kids need a good dose of Harden the F*** Up.

    Gabe
    November 3rd, 2008 at 07:16am
  • Opium.Rainbows

    Opium.Rainbows (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Yeah I live in Australia and I've got to say, the kids here are fucking idiots.
    November 3rd, 2008 at 01:46am
  • Halii

    Halii (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    **Austrailia's.
    ;]
    i'm sorry. i just felt the need to be snarky.
    otherwise, i do like your article.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 08:34pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    While I am not Australia, there is much talk about the next generation's level or knowledge here too. And of course, the Internet and the over-crowded curriculum are regarded as the source of all evil here too.

    I beg to differ.
    First, I don't think our generation is a dumb one. I actually think we're rather smart. Likewise, I don't think crowded curriculums make is stupid or illiterate, they should make us smarter and better, at least that seems a lot more logic to me. I don't think the curriculum is to blame, more like the teachers who have no idea how to approach it or approach us. Teachers think we're illiterate and stupid and silly and internet-junkies, they think we waste our time IMing each other and have no clue about the world we live in. It's not true, we just hate being told what to do. Our parents and teachers lived through the Cold War, they were used to doing what they're told to do but we can't function in a system that ignores our ambitions and our personality.
    We are creative, we need to learn in a creative manner.
    Teachers need to stop blaming everything on the Internet and do something about it.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 08:11pm
  • Cocaine.

    Cocaine. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    There are that many people who can't write?
    Damn.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 07:06pm