US Airways Flight Crashes into Hudson River

US Airways Flight Crashes into Hudson River Passengers aboard US Airways flight 1549 had an unexpected stop not even 5 minutes into their flight. According to the FAA, the plane experience what they call a "double bird strike", meaning two birds, what has since been identified as geese, were sucked into both engines causing them to fail.

Three minutes after take off, Air Traffic Controllers say that the pilot reported losing forward thrust in both engines and was losing altitude rapidly. The pilot was forced to make a controlled landing into the freezing waters of the river.

"You just heard a loud bang and the plane shook a bit", Passenger Alberto Pinero said, referring to what passengers heard and felt when the engines were destroyed by the birds.

Passengers have also said that even though the situation was urgent, everyone remained calm and followed the crew's instructions diligently, thus avoiding any chaos what so ever.

Almost immediately after impact, boats in the area flocked to the wreckage to assist in the rescue effort. Both US Airways and the FAA have confirmed that all 150 people aboard made it out safely and are all accounted for.

For families who believe they may have friends or loved ones on this flight, US Airways has said that they could call 1-800-679-8215.

Latest articles