Stabbing in Dendermonde shocks world

Stabbing in Dendermonde shocks world Earlier on the day (23-01-2009) a man managed to enter a Belgian creche in north-western Belgium. The man had painted his face black and white and tricked his way into the nursery in the small town of Dendermonde. This is where he committed the crime that has the whole country of Belgium in shock.

The director of a nearby hospital told the press that at least 10 children had been brought in in dire need of surgery. All the children had multiple stab wounds on their legs, arms, and all over their bodies. Two women –believed to be nursery workers- and another child were also hurt in the attack. According to officials, the adults had tried to put themselves between the attacker (now identified as a 20 year old male) and the children to keep them safe.

One of the women was killed and it’s believed she died trying to protect the babies from the clearly psychotic man. The man, who has a history of psychiatric help was completely alcohol-, drug- and pillfree and is claimed to be only giggling and talking gibberish during his interrogation.

"An act of great brutality has happened here against our weakest citizens," said Dendermonde's mayor, Buyse Piet.

"The whole city is united in support for the parents who are in deep grief." The creche was evacuated soon after the incident and local authorities put a disaster plan in place. Town in shock Nursery staff told journalists that the attacker was not known to them.

Officials said that the man rang the doorbell and told the staff that he wanted information. Once they let him in, he ran in and began attacking 3 of the infants. After pulling a knife and attacking the children, he went up to the next floor and did the same thing. He managed to escape the scene with his bicycle but police arrested him at a supermarket.

The interrogation is stopped after somewhat 7 hours when the man didn’t do anything else than talking gibberish and giggling. He shall we left over to authorities and then they will decide on further action.

Latest articles