MSRA - The Superbug

MSRA - The Superbug A 12 year old boy, Omar Rivera, died from MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) on October 14th. The school was aware of Omar's passing last week, but educators weren't told until Wednesday about it.

While friends and families mourned, everyone else was completely freaking out. The alarmed parents of kids attending School 211 in Canarsie, NY warned their children about sharing food, hugging or high-fiving people and sent them to school with hand sanitizer handy. Some kids didn't even go to school. Attendance the next few days was 90 % - slightly below normal.

Officials say they we're no closer to having any idea how Omar had gotten the deadly Staph.

"I just want to have a physical to see if anything is wrong," said mom Walkiria Pagan, who kept her two children home.

It has become more of a subconscious epidemic though.

"People are freaking out, saying, 'Don't touch me,'" said Jakiem Johnson, a student.

Since then, workers have scrubbed down flat surfaces with bleach and disinfectant.

"Our custodians will continue to do the work they need to do, and I'm sure they'll be vigilant," Schools Chancellor, Joel Klein, reported, "We also want to have an intelligent, measured response to any situation like this."

Earlier this week, another case of MRSA was identified in Howell, NJ. The student attends Howell Middle School South and was treated appropriately and returned to school. Since then, custodians have been disinfecting the entire school every night.

Latest articles