Risqué Christian Billboard Causes Controversy - Comments

  • fool's paradise

    fool's paradise (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    That's ironic. XD
    April 6th, 2010 at 05:50pm
  • likeitmatters

    likeitmatters (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    And, before someone hurls an accusation my way, I have the utmost respect for other people and what they believe!
    (A very large group of my friends are Christian. I respect their opinions, they respect mine)
    January 22nd, 2010 at 10:31am
  • likeitmatters

    likeitmatters (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Surely it can't be called disrespectful if another church raised this billboard! Simply a sense of humour!

    I can understand why it might be offensive but considering the context, I would have to say "Really?"

    I'm a vegetarian and it's like me saying to another vegetarian in a joking manner "We eat rabbit food".

    I would probably disagree with this billboard if it had simply been raised by a group of atheists with intention to offend. I think, however, this is simply a church who has learned to laugh at itself. They probably take their religion as seriously as the next Christian but it's healthy to have a sense of humour. I laugh about being dyspraxic despite the fact that it can be a nightmare - I've learned to laugh and say "Oops. I'm a clutz!" And it's not like the church has raised a billboard saying "God botherers central" or "We R THA God Squad" or something like that.
    January 22nd, 2010 at 10:29am
  • Peanutbetter20

    Peanutbetter20 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    This billboard isn't in the least funny at all, poking fun at the most important event in history is ridiculous! I hope they find something funnier to laugh at because quite frankly, I'm not laughing
    January 21st, 2010 at 10:40pm
  • Quell Horror

    Quell Horror (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Heh, might not make others laugh. But I got a kick out of it.

    But hey, I laugh at a lot of things.
    January 9th, 2010 at 07:50pm
  • Iris Absurd

    Iris Absurd (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Why would anyone make something like this? Are they trying to get some cheap laugh from the Earth mother and father of our lord and savior, because I'm not laughing.
    January 8th, 2010 at 10:59pm
  • aimless_ramble

    aimless_ramble (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    lmao thats awesome i want that on a poster in my room xD'
    December 31st, 2009 at 07:19am
  • Poirot's Moustache

    Poirot's Moustache (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    72
    Location:
    Australia
    [b]intoxicating lies;;,[/b] But that's the point. They're poking fun at people who literally believe that God had sex with Mary which, as you said, would mean it wasn't a virgin birth.
    December 30th, 2009 at 05:52pm
  • as dreamers do.

    as dreamers do. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Oh, how idiotic. The church is questioning their own religion. Does it not say in The Bible that Jesus was born from VIRGIN Mary? How, do you suppose, would Jesus have been born of a virgin if Mary had SEX? Dude. Seriously?
    Mt 1:23 “The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”—which means, “God with us.”

    Of COURSE Mary was a virgin when she gave birth (assuming that these people believe in The Bible... and surely they do if they're 'Christian'). I'm not saying she REMAINED a virgin throughout her entire life, but merely that she was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus. I find it very amusing (and incredibly ridiculous) that a group of Christian's are ACTUALLY questioning the very book that created their religion. It's stupid. I mean, it should sound stupid even if you're NOT Christian (I am a Christian, fyi :D)
    December 29th, 2009 at 06:23pm
  • Ann Willis

    Ann Willis (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I'm a christian and I thought it wasn't disrespectful. Dude Mary had other kids we know that cause Jesus's brother, James, hung around him in the new testament (James didn't believe Jesus was anything special until after he rose again and showed himself to James, go figure.) anyway's the billboard made me laugh out loud.
    December 28th, 2009 at 07:40pm
  • sansa.

    sansa. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    LMFAO. i want that billboard on a t-shirt.

    i mean, sure it's a bit cheeky, but y'know, it's black humour. designed to shock you into thinking about it seriously while making you giggle at the same time. :)
    December 26th, 2009 at 10:28pm
  • kariajaderose

    kariajaderose (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    my family is very churchy and I find it hillaris! I mean masqued in black is right the facts are messed up but in my opeinion its a real chuckle maker! lolz
    December 25th, 2009 at 01:31pm
  • Poirot's Moustache

    Poirot's Moustache (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    72
    Location:
    Australia
    [b]masqued in black:[/b] Splitting hairs here, but the church is Anglican as far as I know.
    December 23rd, 2009 at 10:16am
  • masqued in black

    masqued in black (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Philippines
    @DeadlyOverDose and orangesharpie13, I agree with you guys.
    December 22nd, 2009 at 05:39pm
  • masqued in black

    masqued in black (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Philippines
    ...Mary and Joseph didn't sleep in the same room until after Jesus was born. And even after that, they respected each other. Mary was 14 when she married Joseph. (The Life of Mary, Brown)
    And to think that poster was made by a Catholic Church... I don't think it's funny at all. We're talking about a sacred thing. Even non-believers should, I think, respect my opinions.
    December 22nd, 2009 at 05:36pm
  • Hansel Graey

    Hansel Graey (280)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Heh. I laughed a little with that poster. :D
    December 22nd, 2009 at 02:10am
  • Poirot's Moustache

    Poirot's Moustache (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    72
    Location:
    Australia
    [b]DeadlyOverDose:[/b] But isn't it a good thing to sometimes question religion and what you believe instead of just believing blindly? I'm not saying you are, but creating discussion doesn't need to be a bad thing. I can understand that you'd have issue with the way they've decided to spark discussion though.

    [b]orangesharpie13:[/b] I don't think they're making fun of the birth of Christ. I think it's more (as he said) poking fun at the notion that God was a man who literally impregnated Mary, ie. had sex with her. Which wouldn't go with the whole idea of Mary being a virgin.
    December 21st, 2009 at 11:39am
  • DeadlyOverDose

    DeadlyOverDose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I can see how someone may find this funny, but as a Catholic I find it extremely offensive that another church would put this up. It brings one of the most basic and fundamental beliefs of catholism into question.
    December 21st, 2009 at 01:53am
  • Yeah_Nope

    Yeah_Nope (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I see the humor in this, but honestly I find it much more offensive than funny. As a Christian I think the birth of Christ is the most significant event in history and to treat it this way is very disrespectful.
    December 20th, 2009 at 10:30pm
  • destroy.better

    destroy.better (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    That is hilirious! Man, I want a shirt with that on it!
    December 20th, 2009 at 03:13pm