A New Kind Of Tourists: The Volcano Tourists

A New Kind Of Tourists: The Volcano Tourists Mayon Volcano, the most active volcano in the Philippines, threatens again. As its 50 eruptions throughout history weren’t enough for the lesson to be learned, some people still expose themselves to danger by refusing to leave the area around the dangerous volcano.

Authorities in the Philippines were left in surprise seeing more and more tourists mustering in, checking in the nearby hotels to capture glorious shots of the volcano spitting out lava.

“Some foolish people, foreign tourists among them, are slipping past security patrols to get inside the danger zone to get a close-up experience of the slow-moving lava coming down the side of the mountain and take their photographs”, says Joey Salceda, Governor of Albay province.

The 51st eruption is a matter of minutes and “anyone within a five-mile radius would probably be killed by lava raining down on them”, scientists say.

The governor admits that at first, officials have tried to keep the tourists out of the dangerous place but later they could see a bigger picture; locals have made a successful business, financially exploring the situation by guiding the amazed tourists through the danger zone.

“We are facing a major problem with people. I'm afraid to say that the first violation of the zero-casualty record we have so far will be a dead tourist.

At the moment of the eruption, the local guides will have a better chance of getting out. The hepless tourist will be left behind”, Salceda continued.

8,077 ft high volcano, famous for its “perfect cone” shape, has taken many lives so far. The eruption in 1814 killed 1,200 people and buried the town of Cagsawa. The latest major eruption occurred on July 14, 2006 followed by Typhoon Durian. Mudslides of volcanic ash took more than 1,000 lives.

Latest articles