The first British coin to be designed by a teenager.

The first British coin to be designed by a teenager. Theo Mack, a sixteen year old from West Yorkshire, England became the first teenager to design a British coin this year.

In April 2009, Theo, who is a keen cyclist, entered a nationwide competition, for secondary school children, to design a new 50 pence coin for the London Olympics cycling event, his design coming first in over 3,000 entries.

His design was announced on the morning of the 9th of February at his school, Rishworth, where a 2 metre replica of his design was unveiled to the unexpecting students and his family who knew nothing of his win. The school have won a prize of £10,000 to go towards the community. The headmaster, Richard Baker, said, "What Theo has achieved is truly exceptional - he's a fantastic role model and has done all Rishworthian's proud. We feel that the wider community should benefit from this win, as well as our pupils. We're talking to Theo about how to do this, including helping local, not-for-profit cycling clubs in the area, like Theo's club, Pedal Sport, based in Halifax."

Theo himself was awarded with a solid gold version of his design.

Theo Mack said, "To imagine my coin design is going to be in everyone's hands is unbelievable. I've just finished my GCSE mock exams and I wish I'd have known about this earlier - I could have used my coin design as part of my GSCE art coursework! I'm really looking forward to going to the Royal Mint next week to see my coin being produced."

Dave Knight, the head of commemorative coins at the Royal Mint said, "Theo is passionate about cycling and it showed in his design. The judges were impressed by the sense of speed, drama and excitement he managed to capture in his entry."

Theo's design, which has been seen approved by the Queen, will be found in September this year, when they go into circulation.

Latest articles