Homeless Hostel Up In Flames

Homeless Hostel Up In Flames At around Eleven at night on the ninth of April, a fire broke out in an old derelict building on Paisley street, Glasgow. The cause of it was unknown, but within two hours the fire had spread to the building next door, an old hostel which helped the homeless get off the streets. The hostel had to be evacuated, and the people inside have been found temporary staying across the city.

By midnight the fire had consumed the whole of the abandoned building, and ash and embers were spreading to streets nearby. Although the building was right next to the Kingston Bridge on the M8, the road was not closed off as very little traffic was going by. The smoke from the fire has been reported to have been visible across the city.

A little before one in the morning the roof of the building had caved in and the second floor had crumbled, and the windows had shattered. The streets nearby had been roped off and people in the flats across the road were waiting outside and helping how they could. Over 40 firefighters were on the scene, as well as countless police officers and several ambulances standing by.

The fire continued blazing until early on Saturday morning, and construction workers arrived early afternoon once the fire was fully extinguished. The building is to be pulled down completely, as it is beyond repair. Due to the building being near the Quay center which includes a cinema, a bowling alley, Burger Kings and casino the center's car park has been closed off and the restaurant closed. Ash litters the streets nearby, black smudges showing the damage of the fire that blazed during the night.

People living locally reported: "It was a ferocious fire. It got big very quickly and most was burned to the ground in less than an hour!"

Although the older building had suffered severe damage, the hostel is expected to be re-opened in the near future. News teams report that nobody was injured.

Latest articles