Firefighter Videotapes Girl's Death, Parents Outraged

Firefighter Videotapes Girl's Death, Parents Outraged 23 year-old Dayna Kempson-Schacht was killed on July 17, 2010 when her SUV crossed a highway median, flipped, and crashed into several trees in Georgia. Later on, the coroner informed her distraught parents that she was killed instantly.

Last month, the wound that her death caused her parents was reopened when her father, Jeff Kempson, was told by a relative about a graphic cell phone video of Dayna taken moments after she crashed. The recorder of the video? A firefighter.

The parents are outraged that something like this could happen. They say it shows that there was no urgency to help their daughter. Dayna's mother, Lucretia Kempson, says that there was no one in the video who checked to see if she was still breathing or if she had a pulse. They were simply recording the video and "worried with what was on the console."

Says Mr. Kempson, "It sounds like a casual conversation. They're discussing parts of the accident. You just don't hear them say, 'Let's get in there and see if she's OK. Let's reach in and check for a pulse.' There was just no urgency there to even check her to see if she was alive."

The video, about 30-seconds long but too graphic to show on TV, shows close-up images of Dayna's body and the crash itself. Two voices can be heard discussing the scene, describing Dayna's body parts and other details. Like Mr. Kempson says, there is no urgency in either of their voices.

"This person has no compassion," he says.

The video was spread via cell phone from the firefighter who recorded it to countless other individuals before circulating back to the Kempsons.

According to NBC News, the fire chief is still trying to gather all the facts about this situation, citing that it's never happened here before.

In response to how this video has affected her memories of her daughter, Mrs. Kempson responded, "When I close my eyes, it’s not fair that that video is what I see of my daughter."

News footage: NBC "Today"

Latest articles