Factory Farms: Harmful to People, Animals, and Nature - Comments

  • WriteToLive

    WriteToLive (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think that you did a great job with this. Also, free-range/cage-free eggs and chicken really does taste better.
    @Wanderer23 : Free-range literally means "space to roam", that said, Jonathan Foer should probably do his homework, too. When you buy eggs, however, the cage-free part is just as important as the free-range aspect.
    March 8th, 2011 at 10:18pm
  • The Reverend Twitch.

    The Reverend Twitch. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I agree with this 100% apart from one.. tiny little detail. I live next door to free range chickens and like all birds, they have a pecking order. I have seen chickens attack other chickens, whilst being outside in plenty of space. Natrual way of doing things and, if a chicken is sitting on eggs and the owner takes them off it, if the eggs don't hatch and become.. In a sense bad eggs, then the chickens will attack. Bantams, small chickens will not hesitate to attack a chicken or even a human.
    January 22nd, 2011 at 07:14pm
  • wanderer23

    wanderer23 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Hi, thanks so much for writing this article. Factor Farming is such an important issue and, like some of the other commentators alluded, we've all heard about how horrible they are before, but most of us prefer to keep that fact hidden away from our conscience, to keep the idea blurry, to keep ourselves ignorant enough to stay apathetic... so we're not inconvenienced, so we don't have to stand up.
    The part where you switched perspectives was especially good. I wasn't expecting you to go all the way to the average American consumer, but you did it well.
    One last thing-- I read In Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals that "free range" chickens are actually just as crammed and claustrophobic as any others, except they have a small window, so they can see the outside. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject; that's just what I read.
    Great job with this!
    January 21st, 2011 at 04:10pm
  • insideallofus..

    insideallofus.. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    [b]v[/b] thank you. I was going to add the links to my sources, but now it wont let me. >.>

    [b]sources:[/b] http://www.farmsanctuary.org/issues/factoryfarming/
    http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/factoryfarms/
    January 21st, 2011 at 04:24am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    What [b]callusedsilk[/b] said. (Which is an awesome username, by the way.)

    The writing was great, though a little too earnest and emotionally manipulative for my tastes. I'm glad, however, that this wasn't one of those stupid vegan articles on how animals should be treated like gods and that meat is evil and blah blah blah. I liked what you were trying to say, and it's true that these farms are nasty and something should be done. I think this is a good starting point for a much stronger article. I think if you put more factual evidence like statistics or quotes from experts that this could be a pretty convincing article. Otherwise, it's a little bit of a rant. But it has potential, and I think you did a good job.
    January 20th, 2011 at 11:49pm
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    It was well written, but you just had zero sources and it's pretty much the same story everyone has been told at least fifty times before. However, despite the story not being new, it's not an excuse to not list accurate and up to date sources.
    January 20th, 2011 at 07:49pm