Something Worth Taking a Screwdriver To - Comments

  • rebekkah_lynn

    rebekkah_lynn (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think this is very well written and I hope you got a really good grade. Although facebook is fun and most people do enjoy it, there are downfalls which I feel you captured perfectly. I don't agree with the stance but seeing it is an assignment and you didn't pick it I think you wrote from this perspective very well. Keep it up!
    November 27th, 2011 at 01:50am
  • Ramona Flowers.

    Ramona Flowers. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I immediately went to check my privacy settings once I read this. <_< >_> I thought this was an excellently written article. You presented your claims and arguments, blah blah blah... (sorry, I'm just sick of giving peer-feedback for essays.) In short, I enjoyed your essay. I hope you get a fantastic grade. :)
    October 15th, 2011 at 09:48pm
  • Natalie!!

    Natalie!! (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    ....My article isn't bad. You can say whatever you want about the subject matter, but I know for a fact my article isn't bad. I appreciate constructive criticism, but that's not it. Please go find someone else to bother. Thank you, DeadlyOverDose! I really appreciate it! I agree that I extremely exaggerated that part, but it was for argument's sake. I honestly don't agree with a decent bit of my own article, but it felt neccessary for the assignment. I REALLY appreciate the feedback!!
    October 15th, 2011 at 05:31am
  • DeadlyOverDose

    DeadlyOverDose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    woooah ignore the article police, I thought it was a well stated argument and it was obvious that you put time into it. The only problem I have is the claim that facebook detracts from people's social skills-the way I see it, Facebook doesn't make me spend any less time talking to people face-to-face, I just spend added time talking to them online also. So if anything, I think it improves my social skills.
    October 14th, 2011 at 10:37pm
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Bad articles are approved all the time. You're still supposed to have your sources.
    October 14th, 2011 at 06:10am
  • Natalie!!

    Natalie!! (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I HAVE all of my information in there, and if the editor says it's fine, who are you to tell me I'm not doing it right? And thanks, OnToTheNextOne! The assignment: "Write a 5 paragraph (2 page max) essay on the negative effects of social media.
    Essay must include at least one positive and one negative effect of social media.
    Essay must also use the TIME article distributed in class as a source of support in at least one paragraph with proper MLA in-text citation."
    October 12th, 2011 at 07:48pm
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Okay, well. If you're going to post an article, you need to list your sources and get ALL of your information in there. There is nothing wrong with an opinionated article as long as you have facts and sources to back you up. That's what you're supposed to do, so either do it or don't post. I had to learn the hard way, too.
    October 12th, 2011 at 09:28am
  • OnToTheNextOne

    OnToTheNextOne (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    excellent piece, thanks for posting this!
    I erased my facebook in February and I agree with a lot of things you included in your essay.
    what exactly was the assignment or prompt for this?
    October 12th, 2011 at 02:25am
  • Natalie!!

    Natalie!! (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    And personally, I am an avid user of Facebook and thoroughly enjoy it. Had I been given the opportunity, I would have taken a positive stance on the matter, but that's not what I was assigned.
    October 12th, 2011 at 02:23am
  • Natalie!!

    Natalie!! (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Guys, chill. I'm a tenth grader and this was an assignment for my English class. Google "Dan Fletcher How Facebook Is Redefining Privacy". That's where all my information came from, because it was the source given to me by my teacher. It's perfectly okay to disagree with my opinion, but there's no need to be rude. All of my information is legitimate enough to use on a national or even international level as you can see, and I worked pretty darn hard on this. And thank you, TheRibbonOnMyWrist and WaayTooObsessed. I really appreciate it.
    October 11th, 2011 at 06:20pm
  • TheRibbonOnMyWrist

    TheRibbonOnMyWrist (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    No, I heard something similar to this before. I'm pretty sure everything this article says is true, with the exception that you can up your privacy settings. I know I have mine set to the max, and I've played around a lot with settings. I'll get friends on the phone and say, "Can you see it now?" But everything does reset itself when an update comes along, which is really obnoxious.

    There is also a way to permanently delete your account and take all of your information with you. That's actually [i]deleting[/i] it, though; not deactivating it.

    Lighten up, guys. Opinions pieces are allowed on Mibba. And a good portion of what this article says I've heard elsewhere.
    October 11th, 2011 at 02:26pm
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Where are your sources? I highly doubt that any proof of this information is available to the public if it exists at all. It's too sensational.

    You're making large assumptions about humanity and how cultures raise and shape their young. A website that they are exposed to around the pre-teen years is not going to automatically erase the subtle body language hints, social skills, or personalities learned from interacting with parents, teachers, and other children for over a decade. People don't start learning how to interact with humanity when they're thirteen, which is something this article assumes to be true from the way it seems to attack the website.

    Overall, this article is heavily biased (it's all opinion) and is blowing unproven information and analysis all over the place.

    I have to agree with the first comment. Do you just hate Facebook?
    October 9th, 2011 at 12:53am
  • WaayTooObsessed

    WaayTooObsessed (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    i think this is well-written and thought out. i know my older brother is deleting his account and he mentioned something like this, but i hadn't heard about it until now. i can't believe they're allowed to do that.

    but anyway, again, great article. love the title :)
    October 8th, 2011 at 07:08pm
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Do you just hate Facebook?
    October 8th, 2011 at 10:56am