UK and USA Push Gay Rights as Foundation for International Aid

It seems as if the UK and USA governments have taken a whole new meaning to pushing for LGBT rights in the international community. Mrs. Hilary Clinton, while addressing diplomats in Geneva, officially called on the international community to

respect the rights of their LGBT members. American embassies have been informed to consider gay rights when dealing with "aid and asylum issues."

This followed the warning by UK prime minister, David Cameron, that international aid would be reduced to countries that failed to recognize gay rights. Homosexual acts are illegal in most African countries. Admittedly the new regulations are a definite win for the LGBT community. After years of discrimination, social rejection and abuse; powers larger than individual NGO operated rights movements are taking a stand for the recognition of LGBT rights. Legally, things ought to change

regarding the treatment of LGBT members by society. Individual rights would mean legal protection, freedom to marry and adopt children. There is not doubt that from the activist's perspective, things are changing and they are changing for the better.

While this stand by the two leading Western superpowers for the LGBT community should be applauded, the question still stands - what exactly does this new policy mean for the international community?

The fact that the two countries actually do have every right to enforce whatever new policy they deem right on who receives their monetary aid and who doesn't isn't the issue here. The problem lies with the possibility that ethnocentrism might be playing a much larger role in the enactment of the policies than anyone would like to admit.

The recognition of gay rights by countries is not something that should be enforced. Social acceptance isn't something that can be bullied into being. And frankly this is exactly what the two countries are doing to the countries who do not share their views regarding gay rights. Countries around the world have set up political systems, laws and national policies around centuries of tradition, social beliefs and religions. To expect them to change their stances on issues like gay rights overnight is unfair.

The new policy undertaken by the UK and USA opens the door to more regulations and sanctions against countries that do not accept what the two countries deem politically correct.

It seems as if the two countries are on a lookout to support nations that are on the fast track to becoming smaller versions of themselves and if that is indeed the case then developing nations will need to brace themselves for the wave of change that is sure to come.

Latest articles