Can a Child Have More Than Two Parents? - Comments

  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Awesome idea! Totally relevant to circumstances that sometimes arise, and I hope this passes in California, and that other states take the same lead.

    Great article, as well. I love that you clearly outlined the facts and aims of the legislation so much and didn't just brush over it. Otherwise, people tend to misinterpret - and therefore oppose (obviously very important) reform, a prime example being this one.
    September 14th, 2012 at 02:01pm
  • pulling teeth

    pulling teeth (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I really feel like it is possible to have more than two parents. There are some people that are very good at parenting (even if they do not have any children), and some parents that just aren't.
    August 10th, 2012 at 03:48pm
  • ellievengeance

    ellievengeance (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I find this really intriguing because my best friend's daughter thinks of me as her mother even though we have no blood ties. Now if anything were to happen to her daddy, I would more than likely be called in to take care of her because I'm listed as her godmother, but I like the fact that other little girls like my Scarlett who don't come from a "normal" (which honestly isn't that 'normal' anymore) situation have that extra safety net in place
    August 10th, 2012 at 01:06pm
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    @ Adam Gontier.
    Thank you so much. ^^
    August 10th, 2012 at 06:26am
  • rosewater tide.

    rosewater tide. (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I've never really thought about this before but I think it'd be beneficial & I hope it's passed. On top of that, the article is really clear & informative. Great job!
    August 9th, 2012 at 10:45pm
  • jly94

    jly94 (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I find this idea fascinating and can deifitely see the benifits of this system having a few friends coming from broken homes and now having step parents as well as biological. Despite the fact that I can also understand why people (mainly traditionalists) would be opposed to the idea I really hope this bill is passed.

    Jen xx
    August 9th, 2012 at 05:36pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    This bill is a great idea for children with great stepparents or great former stepparents. We should always be thinking about the best interest of the child.
    August 9th, 2012 at 12:13am
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    @ Glen Coco
    Thank you. (: I definitely agree with everything you said, this bill adds a type of "safety net" our children have never legally had before and can really help secure more safety for them.

    A lot of people who are against this bill are against it really because of sheer misunderstanding and misinformation. Most people who are against it don't understand what the bill is truly saying because they've been fed lies by the extremist religious right (who is very obviously against this bill). Once they're educated about the bill and what it'll do for our most vulnerable citizens, they become very in support of the bill.
    August 8th, 2012 at 01:47am
  • Trent Lane

    Trent Lane (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think the bill is a fantastic idea. I believe so many children would not have to endure the potential risk of being put in state custody if they have a family member or such willing to take care of them. In my family, there has been plenty of times where someone has taken in a child momentarily for a parent. If anything, I'd think the state would want this, seeing as it would make their job easier. I mean wouldn't they want to decrease the amount of kids being forced into state custody? I'm not really all into a nuclear family, because I didn't grow up that way. However this really intrigued me and actually made me hopeful for children who may be going through some troubles in regards to their parents, because who honestly wants to be turned over to the state? If a child has a backup guardian who is capable and willing to take care of them, why not allow that to happen? Why put them in an even more difficult situation and create more of a mess, when all they have to do is allow that potential person to take guardianship of the child? Even if it was only temporary. Great article Airi, really enjoyed reading this.
    August 8th, 2012 at 01:13am