Terminal 5 Cancellations

Terminal 5 Cancellations 27 flights scheduled to leave Heathrow's new Terminal 5 on Saturday have been canceled along with the same number of planned arrivals. This news follows the cancellation of 36 flights today.

Sky News reporter Alistair Bunkall said "British Airways are confident that once the weekend is over they'll be able to run their operation as it's supposed to be run".

All of tomorrow's long haul flights from the terminal will operate as planned, a BA spokeswoman has been quoted as saying.

Refunds and the possibility of re-booking are available for those who were scheduled to fly the canceled flights. The past two days have been full of disruption in Terminal 5, with thousands of passengers being left stranded due to staffing and baggage issues.

"I am going nowhere - I am going to make this work", Willie Walsh, chief executive of British Airways, the company who use the Terminal said. "I would expect some disruption tomorrow, but I think it will get better every day as we become accustomed to the building and the quirks of the systems".

Today's troubles began this morning at 4am, when travelers began to queue for flights that had been canceled, while others spent the night sleeping on seating in the £4.3bn flagship terminal.

The terminal was dubbed the "Gateway to Britain" by the Queen at its recent unveiling, and it was advertised as a new beginning for Heathrow. Shadow transport minister Stephen Hammond has begun to question future plans for Heathrow.

"This debacle raises serious questions about whether there should be further expansion at the airport. We need an urgent inquiry into why this happened and we need a cast-iron guarantee that this will not happen again", he said.

Latest articles