Five Year-Old Special Needs Child Voted Out Of Kindergarten Class

Five Year-Old Special Needs Child Voted Out Of Kindergarten Class In Port St. Lucie, Florida, five year old Alex Barton was voted out of his kindergarten class by a 14-2 margin last week.

Melissa Barton, the boys mother, says the Morningside Elementary teacher had her son stand in front of the class, and have his peers say what they didn't like about Alex, who is being evaluated for Asperger's syndrome -- an autism spectrum disorder. The teacher, Wendy Portillo, then had the students vote on wither or not he should stay in the class.

Ms. Barton says Alex only had one true friend, and believes the boy was made to feel like he had to vote his friend out after being asked twice.

After the vote, Portillo asked the five year old how he felt, to which he responded, "I feel sad." She then proceeded to ask Alex where he was going to go, and when he said he would go and sit with the principle, she told him they didn't want him there.

St. Lucie School spokeswoman, Janice Karst, has said the district is looking into the incident, but could not make any further comment.

No criminal charges will be filed because the state attorney's office says the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse.

Portillo was told by the school board not to speak to the press about this incident, has declined interview offers.

Ms. Barton is very angry, and is considering legal action against the school.

Latest articles