Ever got the feeling that the world is comprised of idiots?

Ever got the feeling that the world is comprised of idiots?

I have. Many times in fact. But this journal isn't about that feeling. It's about the Georgia High School Graduation Test. GHSGT for short.

I'm sick of it. Sick of hearing about it and sick of thinking about it.

Since the beginning of school, we're heard nothing but "if you don't pass the GHSGT, you don't graduate" and "one question can make the difference between passing and failing." Oh, and who can forget "if you don't pass the first time, your chances of passing decrease each time you take it."

Okay, I get that it's important I take it to graduate. But I don't see the reasoning behind browbeating us to death.

It's pass or fail. You know the minimum amount the state thinks you should know or you don't.

No amount of immersion (heavy review), motivational speakers, and breakfast (from McDonald's. Wow.) can turn an idiot into a passing-with-flying-colors student. That sort of thinking is ridiculous.

And it's also ridiculous how the state organizes the test dates.
English on Monday, Math on Tuesday, Science on Wednesday, and Social Studies on Thursday.
Notice anything about that?
It's alphabetical. E, M, Sc, So.
(So I wonder why Writing was in October?)

Personally, I don't care what order they come; I'll still have to take them. However, if the hardest tests are science and social studies, shouldn't they put them first? That way kids can get the hard stuff out of the way and then feel good about themselves when taking the simplistic math test.
Therefore, I propose Social Studies on Monday, Science on Tuesday, English on Wednesday, and Math on Thursday.
Hardest to easiest, the way it should be.

Well, wish me luck. Hell Week begins tomorrow morning at around 9.

Without wax,
E.
March 15th, 2009 at 07:25pm