Second Doubts about People to People.

Well…on Friday, I’m going to Europe for almost twenty days. I was really excited, like super excited. This whole week, I’ve been getting things I need for the trip and I was getting more and more excited as I got more clothes and stuff. I’m going with the People to People Student Ambassador Program.

Now…I’m not so excited after I found out that some kid died on one of these trips. Sure, the kid had Type 1 Diabetes, but his situation was not handled correctly. I mean, these things do happen, but…yeah I’m nervous now. I did do research and this case never came up until now. Other than this one, there have been little complains on the program. I went to the orientation meetings, we received information and we talked to students who went on the trip and they loved it. I mean, I shouldn’t let one bad case ruin the whole experience, but I can’t help it.

So, I’m leaving on Friday and I’m going to Italy, France and Greece. I’m going to spend my birthday there and we are supposed to do a lot of this trip. Over the meetings, we got to know the delegation leaders. They seem great and they have a lot of experience, one of them is a nurse. Our first stop is in Greece and then Italy. In Italy, we stay with an Italian family for two days and experience life in Italy. We’re going to go to an orphanage and visit the kids. We’re going to the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican. Finally, we’re going to France and then from France, we go home.

I was excited and now not so much. I mean, the people are nice and everything seems great…but oh well, too late for second doubts.

I have friend who went to Australia and New Zealand with the People to People Student Ambassador program when she was only twelve and she absolutely loved it. She said it was all they said it was and more. She said it was so great. Other people have gone on these trips in my area and they said the same thing. The family friend has a nephew who went and he loved it and went a second time.

But…I’m still a bit nervous. I should have research a bit more…maybe I should ask the delegation leader (I have her email.) Everyone seems so loving on this trip, I hope it is true and I do have a great time.

That being said, I won’t be on Mibba from July 10th to July 29th. My birthday is July 28th so I’m going to miss the little balloons on the forum. I’m going to be in France for my birthday.

Well…now I’m confused, I’ve seen the two polar opposite: people who loved it and people destroyed by it.

What do you think? Am I panicking too much? I should have researched more, but oh well. I’m still excited, but with a dose of doubt and nervousness.
July 9th, 2009 at 02:46am