A Rant about Prejudice [My father annoys me.]

I hate prejudices.

I realize that we all judge unintentionally (it is human nature, after all), but it's when we take these judgments to the extreme that it becomes a problem. We don't have to like every single person, but we do have to tolerate them.

So...my dad hates Adam Lambert. He hates Adam for being homosexual without even considering Adam's ability to sing. (In fact, the first time my father heard Adam sing was the other day when I played one of the songs he performed on American Idol.) Which really irritates me. As it should. I mean, people may not have liked the scandals related to Michael Jackson when he was alive, but there was still appreciation of his music. And it's like Bush. Sure, a lot of people didn't like him, but beneath his public blunders, he was still our President. He still deserved respect, even if for only being human. Same thing for our current President.

We may not like whatever, but we need to accept it or else put it at the back of our minds.

However, I'm not saying that we should totally suppress our beliefs. No, not at all. But we don't have to complain about every little thing that bothers us.

And we especially don't have a right to complain when we don't know everything. For example, when Harry Potter first came out, many Christians refused to read it on the assumption it promoted witchcraft -- that it was evil. Yet, now, the Pope realizes -- because of the movies -- that Harry Potter is essentially a series about fighting evil. If people had just read them to begin with, they would have realized there was more to Harry Potter than a story about wizards.

If my father had listened to Adam Lambert's music and then decided he didn't like him, I wouldn't have a problem. But he blindly hates Adam because of a prejudice he has toward gays. And that simply isn't cool.

Pope Approves Potter
July 16th, 2009 at 11:43pm