The ´pust ´ tradition in Slovenia - fading

Thats actually almost the same as halloween (wich we also celebrate but very poorly - we dont go from door to door to get candy, we mostly just carve pumpkins ).

Its a Slovenian tradition. The Pust.
We made this holiday to ´scare winter away with our costumes´
Its a veeery old tradition.
So every third Tuesday on February ( thats today actually ), we have Pust.
Kids put on costumes and we go from door to door to get candy ( like americans on halloween )
But Pust is actually fading.
Not many people care about it anymore and teenagers refuse to wear anything.
So only little kids dress up ... but they dont get much candy anymore ...
Pust has been fading for a few years ...
When I was I think 4 years younger, I remember dressing up and I went to get some candy with my friends ... but we didnt get much ... only a few bonbons and some apples ( o.O ).And some people wouldn´t even open the door.
So I refused to go the next year ... and the next year ... and so on ...
Well every year now , I normaly just ignore Pust becouse its kind of pointless... I think in some cities, people still have the famous traditional carnevals but in our capital city ljubljana everything is pretty much gone ... ( I live in Ljubljana )

So today, nobody rang our dorbell ...
Except for this little boy who was going from door to door all alone and its almost 7o clock in the evening here ... so its dark and scary and the halways are deserted ( I live in a flat )
And he looked sooo adorable but so sad and he only had a liiittle bit of candy in his little bag ...
I think he was about 5 or 6 years old ...
So I went to my room and I took the lollipop i have been saving and I took some candy and I even sneaked in my sister´s room and took some candy ( I can buy her more later x) )
And the little boy looked sooo happy, I was like AWWWWWW
He was very polite and he thanked me and smiled and he was just sooo cute :D
He was dressed as a ninja :) ( well a yellow ninja xD )

And I felt sooo much better when he left becouse he looked much more happy ...
But I also felt a little bit bad becouse he was all alone and stuff ....
And I really dont care If I gave all my candy to him, I think it was worth it :)
February 16th, 2010 at 06:48pm