Must you really do this, America? (Skins)

So the TV show Skins is something very close to my heart. It's been a big part of life for a long, long time. I even auditioned for a role in series 5! GET THIS: Tess and Edd and I had finished our audition and were walking past the huge line of teenagers that were still waiting to audition, when a group that included FREYA (the girl who is set to play 'Mini' in the next series) called us over and asked us what the audition entailed. I AM BASICALLY SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR HER SUCCESS & WITHOUT ME SKINS WOULD NOT BE THE SAME.

Okay, I may be exaggerating just a tad . . . but the point still stands that I LOVE SKINS. I really, really do. And when I heard there was going to be a US remake I was one of the rare ones who was actually prepared to give it a chance.

I thought about how they'd remade The Office. They took the concept of the original The Office and made it into it's own thing, and it worked. The Office UK and The Office USA are two shows which differ in tone and humour and all that, but are still two very good shows in their own right.

But the thing is, judging by the trailer, Skins USA is not it's own show at all. A youtuber made a comparison of the UK and USA versions:



I'm just a bit lost. What is the point of remaking a show with the same script and character personalities as the original? I mean I could understand if it the original characters were all speaking Gaelic or Chinese or something, but they're not.

And worst of all, they have replaced gay Maxxie with a lesbian called Tia. Maxxie is one of my favourite characters and he's not even being included D: This must also mean that the whole Tony giving Maxie a blowjob plot will be excluded. I mean that's what made Michelle break up with him. Gahhhhhhh. I'm probably judging too soon aren't I?

Maybe they had to remake it because if they played the UK version there'd be too much censoring or something in the states?

I don't know why this is making me so angry. I mean it's not like the original Skins is going to dissapear or something. I guess I'm just finding it a bit annoying that's all. Hmm. It's kinda funny cos Skins was made with the aim of rebelling against the unrealistic, American teen shows, where teenagers are played by people in their 20's and drugs,sex and alcohol are either dusted over or a major plot point.

Meh, I think I'll just forget the US version exist's. I may watch it just for laughs though.

Sorry, USA, you make some really great shows . . . but this nearly made me cry.

Is it true that they're making an American version of The Inbetweeners too? How will that work?
January 5th, 2011 at 12:17am