I don't think he realizes just how upset it made me.

A Marine recruiter called my house and talked to me about joining. I thought it was a pretty good feeling to know that I might be wanted there, at least a little. I’d considered joining the army before and my ASVAB scores were high, so it wasn’t too surprising to hear from them. They were contacting all seniors that they might want since graduation is in two months.

I got so excited about it that I told my dad as soon as he got home from picking up this guy he works with to bring them over for dinner, and he just doesn’t want me to join at all. He brought his work friend over to me, pointed and said, “Does that look like a Marine to you?” with this amused, almost condescending smile on his face.

That hurt.

He’s all, “No, she’s going to get a degree in psychology and become a psychologist, not a Marine.” I think it’s a tender subject for him since his son’s in the army and he doesn’t want to see me go into the same area because it’s dangerous and I get that, but still. It hurts to think that he wouldn’t support me with it just because he’s afraid.

I'm not even sure that I want to join. I mean, the concept of it is amazing. I love and support all the men and women in the army from every branch, I'm just not sure it's what I want to do. But it was just the way he said it like... like he didn't think I could do it. It just really hurt.

My mom realized it upset me and she was thrilled over the idea of me becoming a Marine because her father was one and she knew he would just be ticked if I joined. And she told me that she'd be proud with whatever I wanted to do and to not let what he says get to me.

But it did. It really got to me.
March 15th, 2011 at 03:04am