A relationship and a year away, can it work?

I think I've come to some kind of realization today about feelings and relationships with regards to my future plans.

I'm a languages student at university and that requires me to live abroad for a whole year, which for me is possibly the most exciting thing in the world, however it does come with its downsides.

With regards to romantic relationships, well it's obvious why a year abroad has it downsides. The distance can put a strain on the relationship. Right now, there is someone I could potentially end up with, but now, thinking about it, I'm starting to wonder if it is actually worth it to pursue something with him, or anyone else for that matter. I'm sure not very many people would be willing to wait a year for their respective partners to have the time of their lives, while they are at home missing them. It seems a bit unfair in my honest opinion. Despite the fact that we live in an age where a click of a button can instantly connect you with anyone all over the world, can a computer really help you keep that spark alive?

This is what worries me the most and makes me think, whether it's best to put off having a relationship with someone till maybe after I come back from my year or possibly even after I graduate. But I'm the kind of person who wants to be in a committed and loving relationship with someone, and with the right person I would be willing to make the effort to be with that person, despite all the travelling.

However, I've also learnt that I'm the kind of person who likes her independence too much, and after years of being told what to do, constrained from doing the things I really want to do, I'm the kind of person who doesn't truly want to give it up, or let anyone influence my plans. So how can I really expect someone to accept that and be with me?
I think it'd be worse if that person had the same exact goals and ambitions as I did...there would be a whole lot of selfishness there.

So maybe a relationship, or even a little fling is not the best thing for me right now. Being the kind of person who wants a loving relationship but on the other hand enjoys being independent and exploring the world makes having a special someone all the more complicated and difficult.

What do you think? Can it possibly work? Have you been through it and survived or did it completely crash and burn?
August 31st, 2011 at 04:03pm