Rebelling against the roommates because I'm evil.

I am a freshman in college, and I had the luck to be placed in a built-up triple my first semester. For those who don't know, a built up triple is when the housing department puts three people in a space that is meant to just barely comfortably accommodate two. At first I was pissed, but then, after talking to my roommates on Facebook for a bit, I thought it could work out.

Don't get me wrong. In general, my roommates are nice people. It's just that some things they do are annoying as f*ck, and they don't ever do anything to accommodate me. I feel like I'm always bending over backwards to try to make this the least painful living arrangement possible.

As a background: we're all in the honors program, which is difficult to get into at any school. You have to have a high SAT score and really strong grades to get in.

Keep in mind, I have complained probably about one of them to the roommates, and I phrased it very nicely. I'll call the roommates S and O.

O is from the town my college is in. Her house is literally two streets away. And yet she always stays in the dorm, and when it's cold outside, I'll close the windows before going to bed. She opens them again and turns on her f*cking box fan, which she leaves in the middle of the room so I'll trip over it every time I go to bed (I always go to bed later than them). She's always on her computer, doing homework, and she never goes to the library or the study lounge that is two floors down in our own building. Therefore, I can never hang out with people, I can't watch the $200 TV I brought, I can't listen to music, I can't do anything except study. She also chews gum all the friggin' time, and when I get breakfast with her (every day during the week because we have the same class times in the mornings), she chews with her mouth open.

I was the last one to move into the room, so all of the wall space was already gone. O and S had their Command Hooks everywhere so I had no where to hang my towels. Therefore, I asked O if it was okay to put a hook on the end of the bedpost that we share. Keep in mind that she doesn't put her hand there when she climbs onto her bed. I hung my towel there to see if it would bother her, and she said it was perfectly all right.

A few weeks later, she decided it "bothered her" (maybe she didn't like looking at it! Obviously her aesthetic needs are more important than my practical ones) and asked me to move it right next to the light switch. Oh yeah, a wet towel + electricity: fantastic combination! Because I am a coward, I did as she asked. My wet towels now hang from the back of my desk chair, and I use the hook only when the towels are dry.

She also isn't very good with conversation. If I try to talk to her, she says things like, "oh, that's unfortunate" or "oh, that's awesome!". She also literally says "sadface" when she realizes she has a lot of homework to do. She. Literally. Says. That. Word. Out. Loud.

S, on the other hand, seems really stand-offish and a bit cold. She does have some friends here, but they're all her high school friends, and she doesn't talk to anyone in our dorm. Whenever I walk into the room, she either doesn't acknowledge me, or she says "hi" in a very monotone voice. She or O are the only ones who use the TV because they claim it for Glee or the X Factor before I can try to watch one of my shows. She also leaves the windows open.

Get this. I was in the room with a friend a few weeks ago, and S came in with her laundry hamper. She had a box of dryer sheets in her hand, and she placed them in her hamper when it was empty, which she then put in the closet. Those were my dryer sheets. Want to know how I know? It was a shiny purple, lavender-scented box, and the box was slightly weak because I spilled laundry detergent on it a few days before moving in and therefore had to wash it off.

Since I am awful with confrontations, I took the dryer sheets back and put them on top of the closet when she wasn't there. F*cking hell, what makes someone steal their roommate's stuff?! That's not okay, bro!

Now, I had a full-length mirror that couldn't hang from the door, so S said it could hang from the end of her bed. It was easily slide-able from one side to the other so she could still get up onto her bed. I came back to school one Sunday after being home for the weekend, and I found she took the mirror off, put it in the tiny space between my desk and her bed, and hung a f*cking poster off the end of her bed where the ladder is. A poster that is 3x larger in width than the mirror. She didn't ask, she didn't propose this at all. We all use this mirror, and she suddenly decides to move it on her own even though we all agreed its former location was perfect and the best spot for us all.

She has since removed the poster and promised to put the mirror back up.

She has not put the mirror back up.

I am fed up. I really am. I don't confront them because I don't want to cause any trouble between us. I just can't wait to move out for next semester either into a different room in the same hall or into a room in a different hall.

...S asked me this morning to cover my mouth when I sneeze because she's sick and doesn't want to get more sick. I would understand this if I were sick, but I'm not. I have allergies. Me sneezing is just my nose dispelling dust and pollen. I always turn my head away from people and try to cover it as much as possible so I don't bother anyone. What more can I do?

Getting a cold during the year is natural. I'm not too concerned with it because I know I will get it, I know it will go away, and I know I won't die or my limbs won't rot or fall off because of it.

Oh yeah, and they both go to bed at like 9:30-10:30ish every night and wake up at 8:30ish every morning. That's okay for school nights, but they do that on weekends too. I usually am out hanging out with people on weekends, and I came back last night at 2 am (we were watching a movie, but there were problems with the DVD so it took a while for it to get started. We were supposed to start it at 10). S got up around 8 and started working on homework and turned on her desk light. Her desk is right across from my bed, so the light shines right in my eyes, and it woke me up.

People, if you're just working on your laptop, you don't need an extra light! Your laptop is light enough!

F*ck that. I'm not doing anything more to make these people happy.
November 6th, 2011 at 07:59pm