'Emo' Common Misconceptions

“Emo.”

What does the word “Emo” mean? Well, that just depends on who you ask. Some say it is a just a slang term derived from the word Emotional, and used to describe a fashion style, a genre of music, or an attitude. Others believe that “Emo” is derived form “Emotive-hardcore”, basically just a style of music and that people have taken it out of hand. Then there are those that believe that “Emo” is a state of mind, and promotes self-harm, anti-social behavior, and even suicide.

If you were to ask me, I would tell you that I really don’t know, all I have is my opinion. I think it’s a style of music, but also a state of mind. It is a difficult thing to describe or explain to others, since you don’t know who has gotten to them first and told them what. I can’t really say that I am, I’m more “Gothic”, “Punk” and “Emo” combined into one, but I am constantly described as “Emo” just because of the way I dress. Thing is though, I don’t want to be labeled, no one does, but since it happens no matter what I am going to continue to type this out.

I can’t really explain to you, or anyone for that matter, what being “Emo” is. I can, however, tell you how most people would describe “Emo”. People who are labeled “Emo” have a certain style of dress. They wear shirts, that are either just long sleeved and tight, short sleeved and tight, or a combination of the two. Some wear really tight jeans known as “Skinny Jeans”, that hug your body and make it a bit difficult to move around, if you weren’t used to it. While others go for the really baggie jeans that hug your waist and flare at the bottom. The “Emo” dress also includes hoodies, some go with the pull over, and other go with the zip-up style. It just depends on what you like. There are a few other accessories that you could wear to be considered “Emo”, like many different colors of bracelets, arm warmers, spiked collar or bracelet, and studded belts, sometimes more then one at a time. Now, I am not saying that everyone who wears things like that is “Emo” its just the style of dress, most consider to be “Emo”.

Another look of “Emo” is the hair styles they have, ranging from long layered and dyed multiple colors, to short spiky and dyed one to two different colors. You can have multiple accessories in your hair, ranging from different sized hair clips, and head bands to bright or dark colored bows. One thing the hair styles have in common is the bangs hanging in front of your eye or eyes. Letting you see but making it so others not able to see your whole face. Also with the look of “Emo” there is heavy eye liner, whether boy or girl, and snake bites. A piercing that is in the bottom lip and on each side, or on the top on each side, more commonly seen on the bottom lip. Again I’m not saying everyone with this style of hair and make-up is “Emo”, just what most consider what “Emo” looks like.

Now another assumption that comes to ones mind when hearing the word “Emo” is that they all do self-harm. As in using a sharp object, mostly razor blades, to cut their wrists or a different body part. Also, that they are always depressed, are always alone or only hang out with other “Emo” people and only wear the color black. This is not exactly true. While it is true that some “Emo” people cut, dress in nothing but black, are alone and are depressed. There are equally as many that relieve their pain, or express their emotions in a different form. Usually writing, or listening to what people call “Emo” or “Screamo” music. They don’t always wear black, they wear other colors as well, bright colors, i.e., pink, blue, yellow, and so on. You’ll find that many of them have a lot of friends, and their friends are not just other “Emo” people.

One more thing that normally pops up in a conversation referring to being “Emo” is that My Chemical Romance is an “Emo Band” or “Suicide Cult”.

That is pure bullshit, the front man of My Chemical Romance, Gerard Way, has publicly rejected the term "Emo", describing the genre as "Fucking garbage" and “Bullshit“.

Rhythm Guitarist, Frank Iero, of My Chemical Romance, has said "We're definitely a band that wants to save your life” as well as, "We (MCR) are not “Emo” and we never were. I hate when people associate the word "EMO" with My Chemical Romance."

See you ignorant people, My chemical Romance is NOT “Emo” and NEVER will be “Emo”. All your doing is falling into the ignorant views of the media and people who don’t understand the lyrics in their songs, or the fact that they out right say they are not “Emo”. Do you really think someone who sings lyrics like, “I am not afraid to keep on living. I am not afraid to walk this world alone.”, is saying “Go kill yourselves.”? If you do, you need some help. Further more, not everyone who listens to My Chemical Romance can be described as being “Emo” and to say that people who listen to My Chemical Romance and other bands described as being “Emo Bands” is just lumping everyone together, and that is shallow, pig-head, and just plain ignorant.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that you can’t categorize everyone who listens to bands like My Chemical Romance, dress in black, wear certain types of clothing, and have a certain hair style as being “Emo”. By doing so you are no better then anyone else who does. The only way to understand “Emo” or to try understand it, is to talk with someone like that. That in its self is hard, since you can’t automatically assume by looks who is “Emo” and who isn’t. You could try going on the internet and look up the word “Emo” but it will only give you the media version of the word.

What I am trying to say really is that you can’t just judge a person on looks alone, you have to get to know them, and if they aren’t who you thought they were, just leave them alone. You don’t have to insult them whenever you see them. By only judging on looks, not the person behind the clothing, hair, and make-up, and insulting them, your no better then anyone else. You could also end up pushing that person to the edge and over. Not necessarily suicide, or cutting, but other things as well.

So, next time you see some one walking down the street, and your ready to throw an insult at them, try to imagine what their life might be like, and think of what could happen if you make fun of them. How would you feel if someone just judged you by what you wore, listened to and what not. If its happened to you, how did it make you feel? Lower then dirt I’d bet. So do you think its justified to do the same to someone else? I don’t think so. I judge by personality, not looks, and I feel that others should do the same. Cause no matter what you look like on the outside, you’d be surprised at what you find and how much your alike in personality.
December 15th, 2011 at 01:10pm