Is it the American school system or are our generations just getting stupid? [APH gifs style]

So we were doing these presentations in my Expo Comp class, and the group that presented before us was well, presenting. And y'know they're doing class differences along with History from 1900-1950. Cool, everything's running smoothly.

Image

Then, in their "review game" they bring up this question:

Name a world event that took place in the 1940's.

It was common sense. I mean really, only the next best thing to the Cold War, I was figuring the other side had the answer. I really don't remember what they were saying, but it was anything but correct.

Image

They turn to our side and no one but me raises their hands. And I'm the one frantically waving my arm going "I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW"

So they call on me, and I just go, "World War Two."

And everyone's there going,

Image

Y'know, whatever. I had a "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" moment, but I carried on. It was my group's turn anyway.

We go up, and since I'm introducing our topic, which is music from 1900-1950. I start off with 1900-1909.

I start off by asking,

In American history, it's the early 1900's, what's just happened?

I rephrased it a few times, basically asking for an event that's just taken place not too long before 1900.

Everyone's sitting there like,

Image

And mentally facepalming myself, I go "America" on them and go,

Guys. The American revolution!! Come on you guys!

Image

(Now I'm facepalming myself because I had my dates wrong. The AR was right seeing as nothing that big happened after that and the battle of 1812 is so incredibly infamous, but I had my times wrong. The 18th century, not 1800's, was when the AR was fought.....so by 1903 it had been a hundred twenty years since the AR not twenty...) Anyway. Still. No one knew that, as no one corrected me...

Then I played them Yankee Doodle and told them that during the AR that British soldiers would sing it to the Americans as a tease, and it would result in being the most epic dose of irony when the Americans actually won the revolution and made it a patriotic tune. (Fun facts, yey)

Image

But I mean come on. We're seniors in highschool, we just took another year of American history last year as juniors. HOW IS IT THAT NO ONE KNEW THOSE TWO THINGS.

I cried on the inside. My inner-history nerd was commuting murder/homicide/suicide okay

Image
March 21st, 2012 at 12:00am