Advice from people who went away from home to college?

Okay, so I'm not exactly going away to college. However I am moving to my dad/grandparents' choice of living for cosmetology school. Really I just would like some tips from students on how to not get homesick?

I mean I don't like where I live AT ALL and I more or less hate everyone in it, but I'm really close to my mom and I just don't want that to keep me from reaching my goal. Because I'm afraid to leave my house ya know? Like even though I hate it, it's still kind of going "Okay, I'm really leaving home." We're talking 6 months to a year, which of course might not be a big issue to students going to a four year college. But I really want to focus on my career and just not think about home and end up crying because I miss my mom like a blubbering baby.

Mind you I'm a bit of a loner/homebody, so I've never been away for too long, like only two weeks or so for a camp thing :P

Anyways back to the original question, what keeps you sane and not missing home so much IF you're the type of person to miss home frequently? I'm sure meeting people and working probably distracts you? I'm leaving on the 26th and I still don't start class until October 23rd, but I'm scared before I sign that loan I'm going to back out and that can't happen!

I mean I have HUGE goals of what I want to do after cosmetology school, I just don't want my mom to guilt trip me into coming home, because I always do and it's just annoying. So I'm just curious what you students do to keep you motivated or distracted.

Help me out please? And let's hope I can rock the shitake mushrooms out of cosmetology school so in a couple years or so I'll be doing hair/makeup for movie studios (;
September 14th, 2012 at 02:14am