I Miss Custom Profiles.

I'll be honest, even though it sort of feels like kicking a dead horse, I miss the old Mibba's custom profiles.

I mean, I know they're still there. I still have the link to my old custom profile at the top of my profile page, and so does everyone else (if they had one), but there's really no point in them being there anymore.

I'm not saying I want them deleted. I liked having profile pages that you could customise how you wanted, throw in layouts and links and such. I always loved finding new layouts and playing around with them to make things look good. But since everything anyone would need to know about you - your activities, friends, gender, bio, stories, etc. is on your profile page, I can't really think of a reason why you'd want to look at the custom profile, unless you were just checking out the layouts or on some sort of nostalgia trip. I don't know, I don't really mind the new profile pages, but I really enjoyed customizing them with colors and layouts and fonts and such. The only thing I've seen done on the custom profiles that you can't do on the regular profiles is making links - to your website tumblr, twitter, or anything else you'd like people to see. Even that, though, isn't really much of a reason to check out custom profiles, especially when, without any need for them, they're not kept up-to-date much anymore.

To me, it's related to the reason why I like this website's 'story layout' feature so much. You don't have to use a preset website layout - you can make your own, whether you want it to look businesslike and professional or fun and colorful - and, if you don't like someone else's layout, you can change it back to the default to read.

What I think would be really cool is if we could have a similar feature for the profile layouts. Like maybe we could choose whether we want our default profile (the page people come to when they click the username on comments or stories or whatever else the user creates) to be either our custom or site-provided profile, maybe with an option to switch back and forth, though I'm not sure how they can do that without completely screwing up the coding of the layouts already there. Maybe however that little 'show comments' popup appears at the bottom corner of story pages. Perhaps they could even make that little button customizable, if possible.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I've always really enjoyed having the liberty to customize my own layouts for websites and blogs. Sure, it's still possible on Mibba - but there's really no point to it at the moment, which takes a lot of the fun out of doing it. I love to change and decorate things where people will see - be it a webpage or a wallpaper - and get advice or compliments in return. It makes things fun and colorful and a little more personal for me, and I hope someday I have reason and opportunity to do it again on Mibba.

**Edit: A few people have asked me about this, so I'm going to clarify a little bit - I'd like to have the opportunity to use custom profiles as our default profile layouts, but with an option to switch from one to the other on the actual page, for others to use, like on the stories - for example, if you go to another Mibba user's profile page and their default is the Mibba-provided layout, to have a 'custom profile' button somewhere on the page like we do now in case they want to see your custom profile. Or, inversely, if your default is your custom and the person doesn't like/can't read the layout, they can easily switch to your Mibba-provided layout, perhaps with a little pop-up button resembling the 'show comments' button in the bottom corner of story pages.
December 30th, 2012 at 05:46am