Parents are Role Modals - kind of.

Recently, I've been seeing a lot of my parents. A.K.A I have achieved two weeks off and despite my attempt to hide in my room, I have been seeing a lot more of my family than I would generally like to. Not to mention my father's work situation recently changed meaning he's at home A LOT more. It's actually been dredging up some old thoughts and adding some new ones. A huge thing being: people make parents out to be great role models and from personal experience, and from the experiences I've heard about from friends and family alike, I think parents show us more what we don't want to be.

I mean, I for one have never wanted to be much like either of my parents, at all. For example, I'm pretty sure my mother set my first standards for who I didn't, and don't, want to be. A person who spent years in a job she hated, finally got something close to what she wanted but still struggles with a family she can't manage so she lashes out verbally. It sucks and I don't want that.

Or my parents relationship which pretty much thought me that "staying together for the kids" is fucking stupid and not to do that ever because fighting only makes it harder to sleep and everyone mad and fuck that's not what this is about. This is about how much parents tend to suck as role models.

So this was probably rant-y and ramble-y. When am I not? So yeah, parents aren't exactly role models, but walking examples of everything not to do because they're the first ones we ever get to see wearing their mistakes, the first people who can't hide them from us.
March 28th, 2013 at 11:07pm