4 things I hate about fanfiction

Be warned guys, this is just my personal opinion and the way I find works best for me when I write fanfiction :)

P.S - I was inspired to do my own one of these by my friend who's also done one :)

~*~*~*~

1) QUESTIONS IN THE SUMMARY
This really annoys me, putting questions in the summary is supposed to be a way of engaging a reader's curiosity, however, it just annoys me. To me, it shows that the author cant;

a) write a decent summary
b) engage people with bribing their curiosity

Some examples of this would be; "Will Anna and Brett finally get the one they've always wanted?" Well all know that the answer is going to be yes, and that there will also be a happy ending. It's predictable, and boring. (I have nothing against happy endings, just how predictable a story can become simply because of a question.)

2) STEREO-TYPICAL PAIRINGS/COUPLES
Now, what I mean by stereo-typical pairings is usually the 'innocent, naive virgin' gets with the 'tall, dark mysterious' older man/woman. It's like a power play, it's typical, and boring. 'Innocent' lets 'Mysterious' do everything he/she wants and barely reacts to Mysterious' jealous/protectiveness, it's unrealistic and flat out boring.

I see this happening usually in most slash fanfictions (mostly Andleys), where one is more dominant and acts slightly more 'masculine' and 'brave' whilst the submissive one is more 'feminine' and 'sensitive', I'm surprised none of the gay/lesbian/bisexual members on here don't find that offensive.

3) LACK OF DESCRIPTION
I really hate this, not only does it make chapters short, but it makes it seem like the story is written by a 7 year old. You don't even need to add much description, just enough to get an understanding of the character's surrounding area and what he/she looks like and other surrounding characters as well. The only exception to this rule is when you write in first point of view, and even then, it depends on how observant your characters is.

When writing in 3rd p.o.v (point of view) it's used to describe physical descriptions (such as a person's looks/clothing, the surrounding area, a person's home/room etc)

When writing in 1st p.o.v it's used to best describe emotions and when the individual character is bound to notice (what kind of feelings a person gets from the events surrounding him/her and how they feel about the choices they've made)

4) MARY-SUES
A mary-sue, before anyone asks, is a character that has no flaws; he/she is amazing at everything he/she does, including the things he/she doesn't like. The reason why I deslike these types of characters is simply because... (you guess it) it's boring! If the character is always successful it makes the story boring, simply for the fact that there's no room for development.

Another type of mary-sue is the bullied character that is bullied for being different and innocent with a 'horrible' family, and either wants to commit suicide or self-harms. Now, I have nothing against those that do self-harm (simply because it really does happen and it really takes a lot for someone to want to do that, and it's disgusting that someone should be reduced to that in the first place) but it's simply too easy to write.

It's annoying, unless you do a twist where you write where it starts to happen, like when the bullying starts and it shows how the character changes from the constant bullying or the beginning of how the family abuse starts, and how it gradually gets worse.

Starting the story from where the character is close to breaking point is predictable and boring, spice things up a little people!!!

To write a good character, you need to design a profile for them, here's an example to help you create a balanced character;

Name: (include last name and middles name/s)
Date of birth:
Age:
Zodiac:
Height:
Weight:
Hair colour/style:
Skin tone:
Eye color: (does it change depending on the character's mood? If so, what colour matches which mood?)
Personality (cons/bad): (pros/good): (have at least 4 bad points and make the same amount of good points, or make the bad slightly more than the good to help balance it out, especially if the character has a lot of talents/skills)
Likes:
Dislikes:
Hobbies:
Talents/skills: (an example: playing the violin, good at soccer etc)
Fear/s:
History/Bio:
Theme song: (sometimes a theme song can help describe a character in a way that's hard to write and it can be used as a guidance tool)

(also do this for minor characters to make them good, they have a purpose in the story too, give them a decent background too!)
June 3rd, 2013 at 09:00am