Bashing Stephanie Meyer doesn't make you better than her

Like, I'm just at that point where I'm so done with having to hear people putting other writers down. Especially Meyer. Because, there's a difference between not liking what she wrote and finding error in her writing, and straight up saying things like "Well if people like Stephanie Meyer can get published then I guess anyone can make it in the industry."

Like, who are you to judge? Who are you to say that Meyer, or anyone for that matter didn't go through what I know every single writer on here goes through. We all know that writing is not easy. It doesn't just happen. It's a process and often it's a super sh*tty process too.

I mean, getting published is a dream for a lot of us on here, and when I see people acting as if other authors didn't deserve to get published, it really upsets me. Nobody is asking you to like what these people write, and nobody is saying that you're not allowed to find error in a work, but don't act like you (and perhaps your delicate sensibilities) are so appalled and offended that someone with such tawdry abilities managed to get published.

It's rude.

It's hard enough for people to literally put themselves out there for others to criticize (and you're lying if the idea of your mom walking through the door and asking to read the most recent chapter of whatever it is you just wrote doesn't freak you out. Unless on the off chance you're uber confident and you and your mother have that kind of relationship which is totes presh and I completely support it.) but then to add on top of that pile that people not only think your books are:

*insert whiny voice as I push up my glasses further on my nose* "Poorly researched, executed, and a sorry excuse for a book"

then like, please leave my presence omg.

I'll be honest, do I like Twilight, not really - but I read it.

I think Stephanie Meyer is a boss and a queen.

Anyways.

Image
December 13th, 2013 at 06:55am