Doing pretty spiffy on my new meatless (ideally vegan when possible) cooking.

If you recall, I recently made the decision I've been wanting to make since, well, I figured out were meat came from.

I became a vegetarian.

My boyfriend and I have been trying to be healthier in general, trying to make better options for the sake of our future health.

Here's the thing about making choices like that, and following through:

It's hard as dicks
Image

We went from chili dogs and cheddar peppers every night to...whatever the hell we do now. We were the posterchildren for unhealthy eating (Still are at times. Just because something has no meat doesn't always mean it's amazing for you) And now we're constantly trying to find this balance between eating like rabbits and shoving chili cheese fries in our face.

We've slipped up a few times, but the longer we go at it, the longer we find delicious alternatives.

I'm a pretty good cook, and that's not just something I'm saying to impress you- anyone who knows me will tell you I'm a damn good cook. That's the only thing I can really boast about, skill wise, so I'm not at all shy about it I can make you weep tears of joy

And I also love trying new things, so trying to make us healthier people was a fun challenge for me. My boyfriend, though apprehensive, soon warmed up to our new as-healthy-as-possible menus.

My favorite (easy!) ones being.... disclaimer: I live my life with no real measurements and cook by eye:

Baked Onion Rings

Baked Cheddar Peppers

Brown Rice, Mixed Vegetables, and Gravy

VEGAN QUESADILLAS
Image

And cheap-as-crap stuff that just requires tweaking, like hamburger helper with peas instead of meat.

Beans have become the love of my life. You can do pretty much anything with beans (pureed beans replace the cheese in the vegan quesadillas) from chili, to salsa, to tacos, pizza...I will find a way to put beans in anything
They're a pretty-damn-good-for-you food that is a great filler in a meal (a great alternative to meat, I've found) and they're super filling.

That, and peanut butter.

I had a point a few weeks ago where I almost broke and went out to buy canned chili. See, I kept seeing these orgasmic super bowl foods recipe and one of them involved my favorite snack: Mini Chili Cheese Wraps.
Image
I was having a very uncomfortable, violent craving. That's my favorite snack in the world, that is the Yin to my Yang, the Bonny to my Clyde. But, right before I broke I...

Ate peanut butter crackers?

It's worlds away from chili and cheese, but somehow this...this solved my problem. I was no longer in the throes of misery. I...was quite satisfied actually.
Image
March 3rd, 2014 at 01:47am