Can You Be 20 Years Old and Have a Midlife Crisis?

I don't even know what I am doing with my life anymore. Since I was five - years - old, education and school are all I have ever known; and they all I have ever been good at. I was too short and clumsy for sports, I'm not that great of a dancer, and I can't really sing. As I sit here just days before I start my Spring Break, I am faced with one of the biggest decisions I will ever have to make; Should I continue with college or not?

Recently I've been thinking a lot about my future. Ever since I was a child I was taught that you need to get a college education in order to succeed in life. Since neither of my parents graduated high school, they have always told me that they expect my sister and I to go far in life because we are so good at school. For the past three years, I've been trying so hard to make them proud by going to college. There is just one problem, college is extremely difficult.

I suffer from and anxiety disorder as well as depression, which I never had till I started college. Mentally, I have gone through hell these past three years. I'm constantly worrying about money, my grades, what teachers think of me, and I am getting exhausted. I can't sleep, I have completely lost my appetite, and all I want to do is sleep the days away. I have lost my passion for anything and am finding it hard to complete my assignments. My professors have even started seeing a difference in me and have pulled me aside multiple times to see if everything was okay.

Is this whole thing really worth it? Is getting a piece of paper saying I spent thousands of dollars (and ultimately going into debt) to get an education in journalism worth feeling like complete shit? I used to think that college was the only way to get anywhere in life, and now that I am living it, I am starting to question it. I will be turning 21 in a few months. I've been doing this whole school thing for over half of my life, and I am burnt out. I want to go out and do different things for once instead of worrying about homework and my GPA. I want to be known for other things rather than my slipping grades.

I just don't know what to do anymore.
March 10th, 2014 at 07:43am