HIMYM: The Finale

Alright.

The controversial finale.

I've read Buzzfeed, Twitter, Tumblr, and the majority of people who've watched it seemed to hate it.

Well, I beg to differ. Even though the finale is not the most brilliant finale out there, I still think that it was pretty damn cool. Let me start off by saying that I agree with those people who said that they were disappointed in the fact that Barney and Robin got divorced in like the first ten minutes of the episode.

That was a huge bummer and I really didn't understand why they dragged the weekend throughout the season only to have them divorced on the last episode. I was extremely pissed about that, and it almost made me not watch the second half of the show. I really think that they should have done the wedding weekend in like four to five episodes tops, and have the rest of the season explain what they had explained in the last episode. The finale was making sense, and I got why they showed what they showed there, but I feel like they were rushing it. It made the episode too "informative" rather than entertaining. So, yes, I despised the execution of Barney and Robin's divorce. Or perhaps even the whole first half of the finale.

However, in my opinion, to have Ted came back chasing Robin in the end was absolutely brilliant. People should really think about the fact that his children were right-- he claimed to be telling the story of how he met their mother, yet she wasn't even present for the most of it. I don't think his decision of going back for Robin after Tracy had passed was ridiculous, because he had been, unconsciously, telling us how much Robin meant to him. I think this just showed how much he actually loved Tracy, because he wanted to assure his children how much the woman that will replace their mother actually meant to him.

I think that the conclusion was actually quite mind-blowing. The execution was terrible, I couldn't agree more, but it made sense. The whole series was talking about how the Ted and Robin couldn't be together, but I think what people missed is that he was explaining to the children why he couldn't be with her at that time. Ted and Robin wouldn't have worked out because Ted wanted children and Robin wanted her career to shine. Yes, he eventually met the mother, and of course he loved her very much. Ted probably loved Tracy as much as Tracy loved Max, her fiancee that passed away. That's probably why he felt the need to tell the whole story to his children. Now, in 2030, when Ted and Robin both finally got what they wanted, it would make sense for them to go back into the relationship that they wanted without any what-ifs.

Plus, additional argument, the writers of the show said that they filmed the last bit of the finale back in 2006, so I'd like to believe that it had been their intention all along. I may or may not watch the whole series again in a few days (I need to take a break to let all the feels go for now), but I'm sure if I do, I'd see evidences of that all throughout the series. A bit obscure, maybe, but I think all the things that had happened supported it. So, I think that the mother (as a person) wasn't even meant to be the focus all along. They just wanted us to think that way. I think it was all about the journey from the start. Maybe. I don't know. What do I know.

If that was too long to read, all I was saying is that I absolutely hate the way they presented the whole season 9 because they differed our focus from what was actually more important to highlight. However, I still think that the writers of How I Met Your Mother were pretty awesome for creating such an intriguing and controversial show.

p.s. I still secretly hoped that they had closed it with "and that is how I met your mother."
April 1st, 2014 at 08:55am