Creating Characters

Thought that just occurred to me - Creating a world involves finding characters to guide you -

So, I'm either feeling very aware that I suck at making characters or I just had a revelation about my skills (can I even say that) and I'm not a good writer at all (and no this isn't me being self-depreciating, if I was being self-depreciating I'd go even further and say something dark and depressing because my humor is usually quite dark)[/tangentover] Anyways...

How do you come up with characters? Do they just come to you and it's easy as pie? Do you sit down and fill out a questionnaire and you're building the character like that? Do you draw them out? Tell me what you do because I'm really interesting.

I actually got struck with a story idea and I'm really excited to develop it. I literally can't even tell you like anything about it right now because it's so loose and doesn't fit together yet.

I am thinking about bringing one of my old characters back to life and putting them in this though. They'd definitely fit. I just have to keep up the motivation/desire to see this story out.

But yeah, if you want to answer those questions that'd be a great help - I mean that's why most of us are on this site right? We want to be better writers.
December 1st, 2017 at 10:32pm