Intolerance. :[

"Homophobia is gay!"

Everyone says it. MCR fans, GLBTQ people and activists, straight people who support GLBTQ rights. I say it quite often. But until very recently, I didn't realize just how much I meant it.

There is a certain friend of mine who I really, really like. Just being in the same room as her makes my heart flutter. She can make me laugh like no one else. Yeah, I have a crush on one of my best friends. It feels like a Frerard, it really does.

Last week, she found out that I like her. She told me that she likes me back. I was, of course, ecstatic. We were dating. My first girlfriend. It was amazing. Luckily for us, there are no homophobes in our "clique". A few of our friends were rather surprised, yes, but they warmed up to the idea very quickly. It was perfect. Too perfect.

Now, here's the problem: her dad is homophobic in the extreme. He actually kicked her older brother out because he found out that he was gay. Now, this wasn't too much of a problem for him, because he is in his twenties. He and his boyfriend [now fiancé!] live in an apartment about a half hour away. However, this would be a huge problem for my friend, because we are in high school.

This weekend, my friend's mum found out about us. While she isn't homophobic, she won't allow my friend to have a girlfriend because of her dad. My friend had no choice but to break up with me. She did so last night.

It's really hard for both of us. I just can't get over the injustice of this situation. I've heard it so many times, yet it still doesn't make sense to me.

Just because we're the same gender, we can't be together? What makes it so wrong? How can love be disgusting and unnatural? I can't help how I feel. It isn't a choice. Despite that, there are people who hate me for it.

I really didn't intend for this rant to last so long. I'm just having trouble coping with the fact that it's going to be this way for the rest of my life. No matter where I go, no matter what I do, there are always going to be people who will look down on me, spit on me, make my life hell, simply because of whom I love.

It just isn't fair.
May 6th, 2008 at 02:41am