‹ Prequel: Looking For a Lifeline

Hollywood ***

Fantasies and Fools

Mel’s POV

“Come on, James,” I called as I turned around, jogging in place.

I had the biggest urge to go running down the beach after breakfast and James decided to join but it looks like he’s more out of shape when compared to me. A smile formed as he placed his hands on his knees, hunching over to catch his breath. “Wait a minute, Mel, I’m tired,” James panted.

After rolling my eyes, I walked over to him, handing him the water bottle I had in my bag. James mumbled thanks as he pulled the top off, drinking the ice cold water in there. I was amused as he finished the whole thing. It didn’t occur to me how out of shape James was until now. Normally, he could keep up with me but now he’s tired all the time. So I came up with two theories as to this new development.

“Either you are extremely out of shape,” I smiled as I filled the water bottle up thanks to a fountain, “Or you are finally catching up with age.”

“I think it’s both,” James said, “I’m turning forty next week.”

That’s right, James’ birthday was next week and he was turning the big four-oh. And to think he married me at one time and I’m thirteen years younger than him. Sure it would sound strange considering the age difference but my dad didn’t care because the way he saw it, I was happy with James and that all that mattered. Besides, he and the rest of Motley Crue would have sex with girls with a bigger age difference than James’ and mine. Hell, Nikki right now is dating someone who’s at least twenty years younger than him and he’s happy. I have no problems with age differences; I just figure as long as I’m happy, that’s all that should matter.

Funny, I don’t seem to recall me dating anyone my own age. My previous boyfriends were always older than me. Neil, being three years older than me, Jacoby, being five years older than me, and James, being thirteen years older than me. I just don’t seem to date guys my own age.

“Aw, my scruffy blond old man is getting old,” I joked when he had finally caught up to me.

James rolled his eyes, shaking his head. “You’re pushing thirty soon, Belle Mel.”

My eyes widened as I realized he was right. In three years, I was going to be thirty. Holy crap! Where did the time go? It feels like yesterday I was sixteen and escaping from the Hell hole known as my mother’s custody.

You also left Brian and everyone else as well.

Good morning to you too, sunshine. And yes, I did leave everyone else but I’m much happier now.

Really? Or are you just delusional?

I don’t know. Then again, I’m the crazy one whose have a conversation with a voice in my head.

“Mel?”

I blinked as I regained my focus. James was looking at me with a worried expression on his face. To comfort him, I smiled and replied, “I’m fine. Just getting lost in my thoughts again. You know me.”

“Hey, how about tonight, we go to the Fool’s Club and just chill,” James suggested.

“Sure but first, let’s go to lunch,” I smiled, “I’m hungry.”

“So, what are you going to do for my birthday,” James asked as we glanced at the menus that were given to us earlier.

Both of us decided to go to one of our favorite Chinese restaurants, so that’s where we were now. I smirked as I flipped over to the alcoholic menu, looking to see if I could find something that I was in the mood for. There was no way in Hell that I would be telling him what I was planning. It would ruin all my fun.

“Stuff,” I replied as the waitress came back.

James ordered for the both of us. I was a dork and always ordered the same thing so he knew what to order for me instantly. It made me smile watching him just tell the waitress what I wanted, realizing how well James Michael knows me. Then again, we have known each other for ten years.

Yeah, I met him when I was seventeen. Dad took me to the studio one day and there was James, working on some stuff for Motley. He was thirty and single and I was seventeen and dating Neil. Instantly, we hit it off as friends. Apparently, the guys had told him much about me and he was really interested in meeting me. Two years later, I was single and I met James again. Then we started dating and soon became engaged. Shortly after that, we got married, and four years later, we got divorced.

Funny thing is we do not wish any ill will upon each other. Hell, James will practically kill someone for hurting me in any way and I’d do the same.

“How you holding up,” James asked, breaking me away from my thoughts.

I looked at him and saw that he had pushed our drinks to the side so that he could get a good look at me. At first, I didn’t know what he was talking about but the look on his face answered my question.

“I’m fine,” I replied, “Just living today as normally as I could.”

James nodded, sighing. I could tell that he was attempting to do the same thing as well. It was hard, I’ll admit, but I plan to try and not let anything upset me today. No matter what, I was going to try and make sure nothing ruined my day.

“Hey,” James said as we got up to leave the restaurant, “I got you a little present.”

I looked at him, raising an eyebrow. There, in his hand, was a little purple gift bag. A smile formed on his lips as I took it, reaching in the bag to see what he had gotten me. “I know you lost yours when you, Mick, Stormy, and Paul went to Japan a couple months ago so I got you a new one.”

My eyes lit up when I pulled out a PSP box and Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. I’m also a dork in the fact that I spend the majority of my free time playing video games, especially the Final Fantasy series. Right when it came out, I had gone to GameStop to buy Crisis Core and I was so close to beating it and then I lost my PSP….in JAPAN! I cried just because I was so fucking close to beating it and then, of all things, I lose my PSP. I was on my battle with Sephiroth! It was a tragedy.

“James Michael, you are my absolute favorite person in the world,” I said, instantly hugging him, “Now I can totally finish the game and be awesome!”

“Even if you’ve seen the ending to it on Youtube and cried every single time,” James replied, ruffling my hair.

“It’s one sad ending!”

Brian’s POV

Melody’s been gone for only a day and I miss seeing her. Every single time I see a black Shelby Mustang or a silver Rubicon, I double-take, hoping that Mel would be the one driving it but so far, I had no luck. I wish I could see her again but I don’t know where to look. Jimmy, Liz, and Val are the only ones that have her number but they probably won’t give it to me. Sure, I could go to her house but I’m too much of a fucking pussy to do so. I don’t know what I’m scared of but I just am scared to go to Mel’s house.

Kaytee was lounging in the pool as she attempted to get a tan. I shook my head as I walked into my study, turning on my computer. As strange as it sounds, I’d find myself googling Melody just to have some idea of what went on with her in the past eleven years.

So far, I’ve learned that her legal last name is Romanov-Michael and that she likes to change her hair color. Also she was in the Sixx: AM Pray For Me video as the leading lady. I’ve seen it and aside from looking hot, she also looks a bit insane. Apparently, she dyed her hair black so that it shows up well in the backgrounds and stuff. I guess it made sense considering it was black and white and Melody was naturally a blonde.

I looked to one of my shelves and saw one of my high school yearbooks sitting there. I grabbed it and flipped through the pages, looking for Melody’s picture. When I found it, I really was surprised. She looked so different then. I mean, her hair was shoulder length and she looked totally defeated in that picture. Now, Melody looks like she could rule the world and nothing could stop her. She also looks happy.

You’re jealous.

Of course I’m jealous. I’m also curious. Eleven years and it’s almost as if Melody did a complete 180, changing everything about her. I just wonder if she’s happy, truly happy.

My phone started ringing, taking me away from my thoughts. I grabbed it, answering, “Hello?”

“Hey, Brian,” came Val’s voice, “A couple of us were heading to Neil’s bar to hang. You want to come?”

The Fool’s Club, Neil’s bar. I’ve been there a couple of times and Neil’s become one of my friends. He’s a really awesome guy. Considering all things lately, I could use some time with my friends.

“Sure, I’ll meet you all there,” I replied after a couple of seconds of thinking.

I sat at the bar, drinking my Jack as I watched my friends just have some fun. Kaytee was drinking with some of her friends, leaving me alone. Neil was playing some pool while one of the mutual friends of both him and Melody, Annaliese, was serving behind the bar. Apparently, she was DJ Ashba’s girlfriend. She’s a really nice person as well. It seems like Mel made some good friends when she left us.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could have sworn I saw James Michael playing pool with Neil but when I turned to do a double-take, I didn’t see him. Maybe I’m going crazy, I just don’t know it.

But I know I saw James, I know it!

“Hey, Rychnner, a martini and some Jack,” came a familiar voice.

Standing there, next to me, was Melody. She was smiling, giving me the hint that she knew I was right there. I bit my lower lip to keep myself from laughing, knowing how awkward it was when she turned around, sat on the stool, and started drinking her martini.

“Poke,” Mel said as she poked my arm, pretending that it wasn’t her.

I looked at her, an eyebrow raised. Instantly, Mel grinned and said, “It was Bob. Didn’t you see him?”

“You are so strange, Melody River Romanov,” I replied, smirking.

“I’m a fool,” Mel said, “ But that’s what makes me so awesome.”

“I can’t believe she’s here,” Kaytee said as she watched James, Melody, Annaliese, and Neil play another round of pool, “It’s not like I’m not sick of her.”

Melody would say the feeling is mutual. I knew damn well that if James and Neil weren’t here, she would beat Kaytee’s ass and bury her six feet under. Sad thing is that I know that Kaytee wouldn’t stand a chance against her half-sister. Melody’s got that little scrappy look to her that shows that she can stand on her two feet.

Another thing that Mel has changed about herself in the past eleven years: she can stand on her own.

I didn’t say anything to respond to Kaytee’s remark. I was really happy to see Melody. Truth be told, I had gotten used to having her around and I really missed having that. It was like school all over again. Kindergarten through sophomore year, Mel was always there. Then she leaves mysteriously and shows up randomly.

It drives me insane knowing that I said my good-bye to her by telling her to leave me alone. I feel so stupid for doing that.

Actually, I feel like a damn fool.
♠ ♠ ♠
Melody's looking back and being a dork. Brian has regrets.

Oh where will this story go?

I know. Oh, I updated! *throws confetti*