‹ Prequel: Looking For a Lifeline

Hollywood ***

Instead, I'll Say See You Later

Mel’s POV

I walked into the studio with James, Jacoby, and my Rottweiler Lacrimosa. Today was going to be my last day working with Fred and Avenged Sevenfold. I was actually going to be doing some recording with Hinder, working with Papa Roach on finishing their new album, and also going on tour with my dad again. I like touring with Motley Crue; it’s a lot of fun. Hell, it’s always so random whenever the Crue is touring and life is so much more fun that way.

Jacoby had decided to come along because he was bored. That and he had some strange idea that I was going to go into hiding after today. I don’t know where he got that idea but when he told it to me, I started laughing. Only a person like Jacoby Dakota Shaddix would think of something like that.

“Hey Fred-Fred Burger,” I called as I walked in.

It was only Fred, Jimmy, Leana, Liz, Zacky, Matt, and Val here already. Johnny and Lacey were always late, so I expected that. Brian andthe slut Kaytee were who knows where. I don’t really care anymore just because it’s my stupid half sister Brian’s fucking around with.

“Hey Mel,” Fred said as Jacoby sat down in my chair, “Jacoby Shaddix is here.”

“Yup,” Jacoby said and then turned to look at me, “And I’m sitting in Mel’s chair! What are you going to do about this?”

I rolled my eyes as I pushed the back of my chair. It was an office chair so that it had wheels, making it easier for me to do this. Jacoby pouted as I pushed him away and grabbed another chair. James just shook his head as he sat down on the couch, laughing as Lacky, yes that’s his nickname, wandered around.

“Aw, cutie,” Liz said as she picked up my dog, “New dog, Mel?”

“Yup, that’s Lacrimosa but just call him ‘Lacky’,” I said as I looked my arm, “I think I’ll get another tattoo.”

“Where did you come up with his name,” Jimmy asked as my dog just laid there on the couch, content and relaxed with life.

“Mozart’s Requiem,” I answered, “I absolutely loved the Lacrimosa so I named my dog after it.”

“She loves Mozart,” James added, “Hell, she’s watched Amadeus over a hundred times.”

I rolled my eyes at James’ comment but sadly enough, it was true. Mozart was my favorite composer of all time. Hell, for my birthday a couple years ago, I asked my dad to just get me a bust of Mozart, which I got and now sits on my new piano. When James and I went to Germany when we were for a random trip to just get away from the California life, I had begged him to go to Mozart’s house with me. Actually, I demanded that we go there but luckily enough, James wanted to go there as well. Additionally, my last dog was named Wolfgang.

Yes, I am that huge of a fan of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

“I like that movie,” I protested.

“I know! That’s why I also got you the director’s cut of Amadeus for your birthday,” Jacoby said.

“And I watch it every night!”

An hour later, everyone was finally here. Apparently, Lacey and Johnny had gone to IHOP so that’s why they were late. Brian and my stupid half sister, well, I don’t want to think about it because then I’ll have to wash my brain.

Speaking of my stupid sister, she freaked when she saw Lacrimosa sitting on her spot on the couch. Kaytee had a bad incident when she was younger when she threw a rock at a Rottweiler and it attacked her. Personally, I don’t blame the dog because of the fact that Kaytee threw a fucking rock at it! So of course, seeing Lacrimosa made her freak. I thought it was funny and everyone was on my side for keeping him inside.

“So, your last day,” Fred said as I went through some random files.

“Yup,” I nodded, “I got some other stuff to keep my attention aside from these guys.”

“You’re leaving us,” Jimmy asked, absolutely in shock, “What am I going to do without one of my best friends in the world?”

I laughed as he instantly started pouting. “Oh come on, Jimmy! You all knew that I wasn’t going to be here forever.”

“I know but it was nice having you around.”

“Yeah,” Liz added, “We all missed you.”

That’s when I felt bad. After being gone for over ten years and reuniting, it honestly has felt great with being around them again, even Brian. Sure, we haven’t done much talking since he started going out with Kaytee but he is still a friend. Maybe not my best friend but I still do care about him.

How much do you care?

Oh, listen. My favorite voice in my head is back.

I’m the only voice in your head, Melody, but you didn’t answer my question. How much do you care about Brian?

Too much. Too much for my own good.

You always had a crush on him and seeing him with Kaytee is the biggest blow to you, isn’t it? Michelle was no problem but Kaytee…………………hurts doesn’t it?

Oh shut up. I don’t want to talk about it.

You have a crush on Brian still!

Shut up.

“Melody? You alive,” Brian’s voice called as I felt Val poking my arm.

I blinked and saw that everyone was looking at me. James had a look of severe worry on his face as did Jacoby.

“I’m fine,” I said, standing up and grabbing my bag, “I need a smoke.”

James and Jacoby followed me outside, knowing that there was something bugging me mentally. I sighed as I found myself sitting in the parking lot in the back of my jeep. The top was off, giving it a nice feeling to it. Well, at least to me. James and Jacoby sat on both sides of me, stealing a cigarette from my pack and lighting them.

“You okay, Mel,” Jacoby asked, “You seem out of it.”

“Yeah and this is not the first time you drifted off,” James added.

“You two do realize what tomorrow is,” I asked, answering all questions that they had in mind.

That’s when they both became silent. Suddenly, they knew what I was talking about, especially James who just bit his lower lip and stared at the ground. Jacoby knew what happened but this little incident involved James and I. Either way, Jacoby still was there for me as a friend which makes him my best friend for a reason.

“Already,” James muttered, “The years have been slow.”

“Of course.”

Brian’s POV

“There’s something going on with her,” Matt said as we watched Melody, Jacoby, and James walk outside, “This is the second time she started staring off into space.”

I nodded as the door closed behind them. Something in my gut told me that there was something she kept hidden and that little something involved James because he was so protective of her. Jacoby knew what it was so he had reason to worry as well.

“Oh you don’t know,” Kaytee asked as she looked at her freshly manicured nails, “It was huge news a couple of years ago.”

“What do you mean, bitch,” Liz snarled.

From the moment Liz saw Kaytee, she hated her as much as Melody did and that’s saying something considering Mel almost skinned her own half sister with her bare hands. Its funny how much alike those two are. Hell, they’re even on the same wavelength when they’re thinking. It’s a bit strange, to be honest.

Kaytee rolled her eyes and said, “If you don’t know, then I’m not telling.”

Leana growled at her but said nothing. Liz got out a Mountain Dew and opened it, drinking it as Lacey and Val glared at Kaytee. Hell, the guys including Fred were glaring at Kaytee. I thought it couldn’t get worst after Michelle but apparently, it could. From what I could tell, Kaytee Amber Romanov was the worst person I could ever start dating.

And all I could think of was Melody River Romanov.

“So, you really are leaving,” I said as I watched Mel pick up her messenger bag and purse.

“Yup,” Mel replied, smiling, “Take a day off and then get back on schedule.”

Part of me just wanted to grab Melody and keep her here with me but Jacoby and James were both here and the two of them would probably rescue her from me. Oh well, I could dream. The other part of me was just confused.

I mean, on one hand, I had an easy fuck every night known as Kaytee Romanov and on the other hand, there was my friend who now looked so fucking good.

Her dog, Lacrimosa was in James’ arms while Jacoby was carrying her laptop bag. It was getting to me watching her walk out with her ex husband and ex boyfriend. Damnit!

We followed them outside as they placed everything in the back of her jeep. Lacrimosa was running around in circles which made that infamous Mel smile appear. After that little smoke break, both James and Melody seemed depressed while Jacoby tried making them laugh. There was little success but they weren’t as depressed.

I really wonder what happened before to make them like that.

“Hey, stop whining,” Melody said, lighting another cigarette, “You all know where I live.”

“That so works,” Val said, “We’re going to visit you all the time!”

“Rapturous,” Mel said, giving everyone, minus Kaytee, a hug, “I guess I won’t say ‘good-bye’ but I’ll say ‘see you later’.”

We all waved as she got into her jeep as Jacoby turned around and yelled, “I’m stealing Melody and you’ll never ever get her back!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Update for you because I'm nice that way.