‹ Prequel: Looking For a Lifeline

Hollywood ***

Its Not Like We Get Enough Surprises

Still Brian's POV

So it was me, Michelle, and Jimmy riding in Melody's mustang. Jimmy had declared that he was riding shot gun which was fine with all of us; I think she would have thrown a fit if I was going sit in the passenger's next to her. Speaking of Melody, she had her iPod hooked up to the car stereo so that she didn’t have to listen to commercials. Her mustang was totally tricked out and fitted with the latest in car stereo technology. Hell, she had one of those JVC El Kameleon installed in and those are the shit. I want one in my car.

“Dude, when did you get the Kameleon,” Jimmy asked when he watched her change the song to Motley Crue’s Saints of Los Angeles.

I was curious as to where she got it, too, because those are awesome and I want one as well. She looked at it and answered, “It was a birthday present from my boyfriend. We have the same birthday so he got me that and I got him some leather jackets he’s been dying to have.”

“He must be such a nice guy,” I said.

“He is,” Mel said.

Was it wrong to say that I’m a bit jealous? Whoever this guy was fucking lucky; he was dating one of the hottest girls I have ever seen. I was about to say something when her phone went off. Instead of Getting Away with Murder playing, it was She Loves Me Not by the same band. I’m guessing she’s a Papa Roach fan. She let it play fully before laughing as she pressed the speaker phone button.

“Hey, Coby Noodle,” she answered with a small smile on her face.

“Hey Mel Bell,” he answered.

I’m also guessing that this was her boyfriend. There was something familiar about his voice. I could swear that I’ve heard it before. A look from Jimmy’s face showed that I wasn’t the only one who thought that. Now I’m really curious as to whom her boyfriend is. Michelle was busy looking at her nails as she twirled her hair with her other hand, as usual. Man, I’m not really curious as to why I started dating her.

Oh yeah, she makes good arm candy.

“So why are you calling me,” Mel asked, “Did you do something stupid?”

“Why are you asking me that? How come you always think that I did something whenever I call you? Can’t I call you to say hi?”

“The last couple of times you called me, it was because somehow you ended up in jail because you got into a fucking bar fight,” Mel snorted.

He laughed but agreed, “True. Anyway, where are you? I woke up and you weren’t there and I was like, ‘Dude, Mel’s gone! Where the fuck did she go?’ So I felt like calling you after I looked on the other tour buses and the venue.”

“I left a note on the coffee pot saying that I was going to meet up with some old friends. Did you check it?”

“No,” he mumbled, “I didn’t get any coffee today.”

Mel laughed as she stopped at the stoplight. We all stayed silent as we listened in on her conversation with her boyfriend.The lucky bastard His voice was so fucking familiar and I know I’ve heard it somewhere before. It was driving me insane and I wanted to know who the fuck was her fucking boyfriend.

“So, I guess I’ll see you when you get back?”

“Yup,” Mel answered, “I’ll be there in around thirty minutes.”

“Okay, awesome. I’ll see you then. Bye Mel Bell!”

“Later Coby Noodle,” she said before she hung up.

I watched her place her phone back in its place in one of the cup holders. There was a smile on Mel’s face and it really pissed me off knowing that she had a guy, waiting for her and making her smile all the time now. I was her fucking best friend and I used to be able to do that.

But it’s partially your fault that she left in the first place. You wouldn’t help her when she needed a friend

A sigh escaped as I realized that was right. I did tell her to leave me alone just so I could give my dick some fun.

And it could have been you making her smile and laugh instead of this mystery boyfriend of her’s. She’s happy without you.

“You okay over there, Brian,” Michelle’s voice came.

I looked at her as she looked back at me. We were at another stoplight and behind us, Matt’s SUV waited for the light to turn green. Jimmy was looking at me as well and Melody, well, she kept her eyes locked on the road in front of her.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I said.

“We’ll be at the venue in ten minutes so you can get some water there,” Mel said as she changed the song to Devour by Shinedown.

“Melody’s back,” someone yelled as she parked behind the venue of Cruefest.

She laughed as she got out of her car, keeping the door open so that I could get out as well. God, did she look good walking around. Now, I was extremely jealous of whoever got to call themselves her boyfriend.

“Melody River Romanov,” a guy yelled as he ran towards her.

A lanky figure and messy black hair that shot out in every direction ran towards Melody. He wore a pair of black jeans and boots and was totally decked out in tattoos. I recognized him because I’ve seen him in the Life is Beautiful video and I knew that he was DJ Ashba, one of the members of Sixx: AM.

“DJ ASHBA,” she yelled back as he hugged her.

Jimmy smiled as the rest of the guys, girls, and Fred joined up with us. Matt parked next to Melody’s mustang, locking it. He watched as DJ hugged her, surprised as us that she was friends with him. “She looks happy, she really does.”

“Is that her boyfriend,” Liz asked as Zacky wrapped his arm around her, “Because if so, then dang, she got DJ Ashba for a boyfriend!”

“No, I’m not her boyfriend,” DJ said as he let go of Mel, “But he is here. Actually, he’s wandering around being random.”

Mel laughed as she pulled her hair down, now giving me an idea as to how long it was. It went to the middle of her back and she had black highlights in it. Again, this was something the old Melody wouldn’t do to herself.

“Let’s go find my Coby Noodle,” Mel said as she and DJ linked arms and started skipping inside.

We followed them as they literally skipped inside the venue. Walking around was the guys of the bands Trapt, Papa Roach, Buckcherry, Sixx: AM, and Motley Crue. Nikki Sixx, who was sitting on the couch with his girlfriend Kat Von D, looked at Melody and smiled as he hugged her. Fucking Hell, she has some famous friends but then again, she worked on Motley Crue’s album. But still, Nikki Sixx just gave her a fucking hug! “Your boyfriend forgot that you were going out this morning and freaked.”

“I heard. Hell, Coby fucking called me,” Mel said, giving Kat a hug, “It was pretty funny.”

“Melody’s back? Fuck yeah,” somebody yelled as he ran towards her.

He instantly tackled her to the ground and kissed her. Mel laughed as she slapped his shoulder, “Get off me, Coby!”

A sigh and a huff came as he stood up and we finally got to see who her boyfriend was. Standing there, with his arm around Melody’s shoulder was Jacoby Shaddix, front man of Papa Roach. My jaw dropped when I realized that she was dating the lead singer of a band I have toured with before. Jacoby Fucking Shaddix was dating Melody Romanov! I felt so jealous watching him kiss her cheek and making her laugh.

“Coby Noodle, quit it,” she laughed, “Where’s my dad.”

Jacoby shrugged as he said, “No clue where he is now but he said earlier that he needs you to tune his guitar.”

Melody let out a fake dramatic sigh as she rolled her eyes. Nikki and Kat both laughed when she started complaining like a two-year-old; we all knew that she was faking it. “Your dad’s a guitarist,” Michelle asked.

Melody nodded as she looked at her as if she was stupid. Jimmy just glared at her; he never was fond of Michelle. Hell, no one liked her anymore.

“Brian’s the best guitarist in the world,” Michelle said with a huff in her voice.

“He’s good but I wouldn’t say the best,” Mel said, “But then again, I am partial to who I think is the best.”

“And that is,” Michelle sneered.

Just as she was about to answer, Melody looked at the person who just walked in. He was clad in all black and looked like he was looking for something. “Melody, I can’t find my hat,” Mick Mars said as he walked in, “Do you know where I put it.”

“It’s on the table, dad,” she answered, pointing to a top hat that was resting on the table.

“Your dad’s Mick Mars,” Johnny stuttered as he asked that question.

“Yeah,” Kat said, “Didn’t you know that?”

Mick walked up to his daughter who hugged him, “It’s apparently a shocker that I’m related to you.”

“I find it shocking all the time,” Jacoby said, “And I’ve been dating her for eight months!”

“It’s not like we got enough surprises today,” Val sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
new part. fubtastic