Will It Be Forever

Part Nineteen- Forgive and Forget

Matt shook his head as he rounded the corner of the building. He readjusted his glasses and wasn’t even watching where he was going when he ran into someone. He let out a groan and before he had a chance to see who it was he heard a familiar voice, “Watch where you’re going you over grown ape!” He couldn’t help but smile a bit when he looked to see that it was AJ he ran into.

She looked up and those hazel eyes of her went wide. “Hi,” he said with an amused look on his face. It didn’t feel so awkward to be around her like he had thought that it would be. He noticed that she had dropped some stuff and he leaned down to help her pick it up but she snatched them quickly.

“Hey,” she said, sounding nervous. What was going on? He raised an eyebrow and looked at what she had. He saw a box through the plastic bag and swore that it was… His eyes widened a bit. “What are you doing here?” Matt shook his head and made a motion across the street.

“I was going to Starbucks,” he told her. AJ put a hand on her hip and let out a exaggerated sigh.

“Brian didn’t happen to call you, did he?” She asked. Yeah. That’s what he thought. His friend had set the whole thing up. AJ smiled at him a bit. She scratched the back of her neck for a moment. “How’ve you been?” She asked. Matt gave her a small smile.

“I missed you,” he told her.

“So you don’t hate me?” Matt wondered if he had but that lasted only a brief moment because he knew that he wouldn’t have been able to hate her. He extended his hand out to her and took her hands in her. He shook his head and pulled her closer to him.

“Never,” he replied shortly. He leaned in and kissed the top of her head. “AJ…” He started as he pulled back. She looked up at him. His left hand went down and knocked the bag in her hand. “What’s this?” He asked. She wasn’t going to lie. Not being this close. He paused for a moment and he could smell the liquor on her breath. His eyebrows furrowed together for a moment. Maybe it was nothing…

He watched AJ’s cheeks flush a bright red color and she couldn’t keep eye contact. Yeah. He thought so. “It’s a pregnancy test,” she admitted in a small voice. She looked at him and he knew that she was looking for a reaction from him. His breath caught in his throat and he felt his stomach twisted in nervousness. A pregnancy test?

“Wow,” was all her could say. He shook his head, having no idea what to say. Not even Val had gone through something like this. He was prepared to react. He had no…. Shit. Damn. He ran a hand over his face and then remembered the alcohol he smelled on her. “And you had alcohol?” He asked in a flat voice. AJ winced as he asked her that.

“I had been thinking about you,” she told him, “And I just wanted to stop. I didn’t think we’d be doing this and when I was talking to Brian and Michelle, I realized that I skipped my period.”

“You realized it? What if you are pregnant? What could that do to the-”

“Stop ok?” She asked, interrupting him. “I fucked up. It’s been a habit of mine lately. If I am pregnant than I’m going to go to the doctor and see if anything could be wrong.” Well at least she was being smart about things…now… but he didn’t say that out loud.

“Is it…” He started but couldn’t find the right words. “Is it…” Damn it, it wasn’t working out well. AJ raised a eyebrow as she looked at him and nodded. Of course it was his. What the hell was he thinking? Oh Jesus, fucking hell, he was nervous. He scratched his temple for a moment and shifted from one foot to another awkwardly.

“It’s yours Matt,” she told him, “That’s if I even am.”

“AJ…” Matt started. He wanted to tell her so many things but he was at a loss for words. So he just leaned in and kissed her. He felt her hand touch the side of his face as she kissed him back. That was a good sign. He pulled back slightly. “That night of the show,” he said in a low voice, “When I wanted to talk to you afterwards… I wanted to tell you that… I had fallen for you… I love you AJ.”

He watched her features soften and she looked like she was going to melt. He smiled a bit at her and she smiled back just before kissing him again. “I love you too,” she told him. “I’m still so sorry about the whole thing. I can’t believe you even forgave me…” Matt shook his head and hugged her.

“This was how it was suppose to be,” he heard Val’s voice. “Goodbye Matt.” He had a feeling that was going to be the last time that he heard her. He closed his eyes for a moment, giving her a silent good bye.

“When are you going to take the test?” He asked her.

AJ sighed and glanced down at her bag before looking back at him. “When I get home,” she replied. She glanced at the coffee shop and decided to skip it. She swallowed hard and a thin line of a smile spread across her face. “Want to come with?” She asked and extended her hand out to him. Matt nodded and took her head, entwining their fingers together.

She was going to take the test and… He could be a dad.

-Time relapse-

AJ could just picture Matt outside of the bathroom pacing around, wondering what was going on. The fifteen minutes was almost up and she knew that she wanted to find out the results before she had to tell him. She didn’t know whether to be excited or scared shitless. The latter seemed appropriate at the time. She had never thought about kids before and here she was taking the test.

A lot of things about her life would have to change. She’d only be able to manage the bar by day and go over the papers then. She bit her lower lip as she thought about it. Jessica would have to take over at night. Well… That didn’t really bother AJ. She was going to ask the girl if she would like to step up to management anyways.

She checked the time again and sucked in a deep breath. The blue line was going to show up soon. She stood up from the toilet to go to the counter to take a look. She ran a hand through her long black hair for a moment and hesitated. She wasn’t going to psyche herself out. Everything was going to be alright. She nodded to herself. Her and Matt made up so if she was pregnant, the baby would have a good home. If she wasn’t, then… Well that was ok too…Right?

She glanced at herself in the mirror and heard knocking at the door. “Is it done yet?” she heard Matt’s voice. She made a face. He didn’t want to stay in the bathroom because he wanted to give her some privacy but his knocking every five minutes wasn’t helping either.

“No,” she replied and then heard him walk away. Her eyes widened as she realized it was time. “Ok Addeline,” she said to herself. “You can do this.” She picked up the stick to take a look.

“Matt!”