I Won't Let Them Take You

Take back everything you ever said.

He stood medium height with dark brown hair. His red glasses were riding at the tip of his nose. He was an awkward boy but then again so were most of Spencer’s friends. Emily had a sparkle in her eye as she caught his glance. She bit her lip as he passed by her to take a seat on the couch, as he did so she moved her broken arm out of his path.

“Emily, your arm!” Spencer yelled rushing over to her and grasping it in his hand.

“Yeah, yeah it’s fine.” She said with her eye still on Spencer’s friend.

“Brendon these are my sisters Emily and Nicole. Guys this is Brendon, he’s one of my friends.” Spencer said taking a seat in a recliner. Emily followed but instead took a seat next Brendon.

“Hi.” She said awkwardly.

“Hi.” He replied sticking out his hand and she shook it.

They immediately got started on a conversation about God knows what while Spencer lectured Nicole about how she needs to ‘act more like an adult.’ She shrugged it off, she was used to his overprotective-ness.

“So how did you meet him?” Nicole asked motioning towards the giggly Brendon.

“Oh, you know Brent right? Well he goes to school with him.” He replied as he got up and walked towards the kitchen. “Do you guys want anything?” He yelled from the kitchen.

“No.” Emily and Brendon replied in unison and they continued on with their conversation.

“Nicole?” Spencer yelled.

“Yeah can you get me some water?” She asked and within seconds a water bottle was being chucked at her head.

“Heads up!” He yelled after it hit her face. She gave him an irritated look.

“Sorry?” He suggested. She let it go and began to sip her water. She looked over at Emily and she had finally looked happy. For once in a long time she was smiling. Nicole and Spencer began to stare at Emily. She was not even 18 but she was growing up.

“So what are you doing tonight?” Spencer asked Nicole.

Nicole hesitated before answering. What could she say?

“I’m…going out.” She stuttered and drew her attention towards the ground.

“With Ryan?” He was now posing as their father.

She ignored his comment but soon found herself face-to-face with Spencer.

“Yes with Ryan, o.k.?” She said turning away from him.

“I don’t want you dating him.”

“Yes father.” She said sarcastically. “You know that you can’t stop me from seeing him.”

“Nicole, I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Seriously? Come on. You just don’t want me dating your best friend.” She said getting up and heading to her room.

“You’re going to regret this someday.” He yelled which was soon followed by a door slam.