I Won't Let Them Take You

If you need me, call me

The blasting shook the house and with each passing minute the tension grew. Soon her room was filled with a mix of two noises. One was undoubtedly the voice of Craig Owens that was blasting through her stereo. The other was a soft tapping noise unfamiliar to the song. Nicole got off her futon and turned off the music to study the noise. She figures it was Spencer knocking on her door and replied thinking so.

“Go away!” She demanded.

“Nicole, can I come in?” It was a softer voice, Emily’s voice. The question was left unanswered. Emily entered and Nicole buried her head in her pillow.

“What?” She said, her voice muffled and almost undecipherable.

“Well you stormed out of the room, I didn’t know if you were o.k.” She replied. Nicole could feel her bed shift at her feet.

“Is he gone?” Nicole asked.

“Yeah, but he is coming back later tonight.” Nicole sat up; tears stained her face. Emily wiped them away.

“He seems nice.” Nicole stated.

“He is.”

They sat in silence for several minutes. They both had the same thought on their mind.

“He won’t approve of you seeing him.” Nicole said breaking the silence.

“I know.” Emily replied.

They needed to talk to him, and he needed to talk to them. He entered the room and sat across from the girls. He didn’t really know what to say but decided on something at the last minute.

“I don’t want either of you dating my friends. You don’t know them like I do. I don’t want anything to happen to you.” He stated.

“Tell Ryan that.” Nicole said under her breath.

“What was that?” He asked.

“Well I just don’t think it is fair that you don’t want me to date someone that I have been dating for almost a year now. And you don’t even know Brendon yet you don’t want Emily dating him, and to be honest he seems really nice.” Nicole said in nearly one breath.

“This is my house.” Spencer stated.

“No it’s our house and the three of us live here as adults.” Emily spoke up.

The three sat in silence and Spencer soon exited the room. Nicole and Emily looked at each other and smiled. They had won; they were now free. Free adults. Emily grabbed Nicole’s hand and they both stood up.

“So what now?” Nicole asked.

“Well I was thinking a little shopping trip for our dates tonight.” Emily said pulling out Spencer’s credit card.

“Emily!” Nicole shouted. Emily put her finger to her mouth to silence Nicole.

“Let’s just call it pay back?” She whispered.

They grabbed their bags and exited the room.

“Spencer, we’re going shopping. We’ll be back later.” Emily yelled. They heard a mumbling sound from the dining room. They took that as an ‘O.K.’ and left.

“I’ll drive, since you really aren’t in good enough condition to.” Nicole said.

They got in and Nicole started the car.

“You can pick the music, if you like.” Nicole said sporting a smile.

“Well thanks, sis.” Emily said sarcastically. She began digging in the glove compartment and pulled out 3 c.d. cases. She searched through them until she found one she liked. It started playing and Nicole smiled. It was Green Day’s c.d., Dookie.

“Remember Dad took us to see them in like ’97?” Emily asked.

“Yeah, we were only 8 years old and everyone there gave him weird looks for bringing his kids there.” Nicole said.

“I remember that was the first time I really looked up to Spence. He knew every song and sang along with Billie Joe the whole time.” Emily said.

That was one of the earliest memories for the girls, and it brought tears to their eyes.

“I miss dad so much.” Nicole said.

It had been 3 years since he was diagnosed with cancer. He had past away within a year, just before the girl’s sixteenth birthday. This was when the girls were inspired to start a band. He had taught both of them guitar so they decided that was the best way to remember him.

The girls soon arrived at the mall and immediately headed for Wet Seal. They each found a cute outfit and tried them on. Nicole’s was a green and black shirt with stars on it and ripped jeans. Emily’s outfit was a bright red shirt with words all over it and a pair of skinny jeans. They purchased the items with snickers and smiles, walking out of the store hand-in-hand.