Emilee

Thirty Seven

They finally released me from hospital. I’d been sat in my room ever since, looking at the blank pages of my diary. I’d written on these pages, I’d thought. I was so damn sure of it. The last entry I had was of me wanting to sneak out and follow Max one night.
Then it clicked.
This must be the night they’re all talking about, the night I was attacked. It made perfect sense, I guess. Max would’ve been just down the street. I sighed and closed my diary, putting it back beneath my pillow. I heard his bass as the wind blew through my window, bringing the sound with it. My eyes slowly but surely drifted over to my window, out to his. He was sitting on his bed facing away from me, plucking at his base. He stopped after a while and put it down. He sat with his head down for quite some time, making me wish I was there. Wait. I can’t think like this anymore. Apparently, we never were. He got up and began to pace up and down his room. That was sorta unusual. He looked stressed, to say the least. He turned to face me, almost catching me staring back. He must’ve seen the whoosh of my hair, surely, as I’d turned my head pretty fast from his direction. It was a while before I dared to turn to see if he was still there, but he was gone. I got up and slumped down on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. Now what was I to do? I didn’t feel myself anymore. I hadn’t noticed the tears streaming down my face until someone knocked lightly on my door, and I quickly wiped them away.

“Emilee?” It was my mum.

“Yea?” I replied softly. She opened the door.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“Yea, just a little tired,” I lied.

“Ohh, okay.” She looked me over shortly. “Max just came over. Would you like me to tell him to come back later then?”

“Ohh.” Max? What...what could he want? “No, I’d like the company.” She smiled at me.

“Okay, I’ll send him up here then. The doctor said you still need your rest.” I nodded and she left to get him. We hadn’t talked since he’d come into hospital that one time. My bedroom door slowly opened, revealing a nervous looking Max from behind it. He closed it after him. He didn’t say anything, just stood there looking gorgeous. Oh so gorgeous...

“Umm, so I thought I’d just come around to say hi, or something,” he said softly. “How are you?” He looked up at me through his hair.

“I’ve been pretty good,” I replied.

“No, really...”

“Really? You’d not want to know Max.” Why was he suddenly interested?

“You’d be surprised, perhaps.” He came over and sat at the end of my bed. “I saw you staring at me through the window...” I blushed.

“Sorry,” I said quietly, looking anywhere but at him. Why did this have to be so awkward...

“Did you see me staring back?” I cocked an eyebrow. “Did you ever see me staring back, Emilee?”

“What...what do you mean? You...I mean why were you staring at me?” I hadn’t seen him staring back, I’ll admit. Perhaps he was staring as I was looking away.

“I need to be honest with you, but I’m not sure if it’s the right thing to do at present.” I nodded slowly.

“Do whatever feels best.” He nodded once, then stared down into his lap.

“Okay,” he started after a few minutes. “Well, I don’t want you thinking that I’m telling you this to take advantage of you. I’m not, Emilee. I’d never do that.” He took a deep breath. “At the hospital when you were saying all those things...it hurt.” I felt a sharp pain pierce my chest. I hurt Max?

“How did I hurt you?” I asked in a whisper.

“You said all the things I hoped I’d one day hear, the things I only heard in dreams,” he said. “I know it was only the dream you were talking to...but...” He paused for a bit, then sighed. “It hurt. It hurt that you didn’t really mean it. I first thought you were just joking around, playing with me. I mean, don’t all girls do that?” He looked over to me for the first time. “Gees, please don’t cry Emilee.” He lifted a hand to caress my cheek.

“I’m sorry Max, I’m just so confused,” I said quietly.

“I like you,” he said quickly. I stared across at him. His hand was still on my face.

“You mean like-“

“I mean I like like you...”

“I’m sure you know I feel the same,” I said with a small smile. “Even before everything, I still liked you.” His lips curved upwards a little.

“Really?” He sounded so surprised. I nodded. Max released a long sigh. “Well, I guess I’m not taking advantage of you then.” He smiled, revealing some of his tiny white teeth. I’d have to get used to that...

“So uhh...” I forgot what I was going to say as Max suddenly felt a million times closer. He moved his other hand to the side of my head and before I knew it, he’d closed the gap between us with his lips. My breath hitched in my throat. His lips left mine far too soon.

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that for,” he said, softly stroking my cheek with his thumb. “Be mine?” His eyes held so much hope.

“I’m all yours Max.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading :)