Emilee

Forty One

Max and I were sitting in my living room, both quite annoyed. I was annoyed that he’d not believe what I know to have happened the night I was attacked, and he was annoyed that I was expecting him to believe in vampires. Was it not obviously true by now?

Ronnie is a bad man. Hell, Anna’s just as bad. I’d dreamed her to be so innocent and hurt but really, she was just like him. They set this whole thing up as a laugh. Forgive me, but I cannot see the humour of the situation. Max wouldn’t believe me. I’d remembered from the dream that Ronnie had the power to make someone believe a lie. Perhaps that was true, too. He had Max in such a hopeless situation.

“Emilee, please talk to me,” Max said in a whisper. “It’s killing me.”

“What’s Ronnie been telling you Max?” He frowned at me.

“If you’re gonna start this again then don’t talk...”

“It’s important.” I gritted my teeth together to refrain from raising my voice.

“No, it’s all in your head,” he snapped. I was a little taken aback. “Shit, I’m sor-“

“Save it Max. All I'm trying to do is sort out this mess and you’re making it difficult. If I'm right then you could be on a vampire’s menu...” I frowned and looked away from him. I refused to cry over this again. Max sighed.

“Ronnie told me you’re only finding him familiar because you both went to the same primary school here as kids,” Max said.

“I moved here when I was 15 Max, half way through high school,” I said slowly. “How is that possible? He’s a goddamn liar!”

“I know...” A look of realisation suddenly crossed Max’s face. “I remember the first day you moved here, and how I couldn’t get my eyes off of you. Then your first day of school, man, that was a laugh.” I punched him in the arm.

“Me tripping over in roll-call class first thing as I came in was not funny Maxwell Green.” He laughed some more anyway. We both went quiet, and I realised what was happening.

“Max, Ronnie’s making you believe this lie. I know where I saw him. He was without a doubt the guy that attacked me that night.”

“I...believe you,” Max said. Fury filled his eyes.

“He told me everything. He told me he’d casually meet you at the train station and that one by one, he’d make your friends disappear. Then...then you.” Max jumped up suddenly and dragged me with him out the front door.

“He’ll make my friends disappear!? Emilee, why didn’t you tell me this before!”

“I didn’t remember until now,” I replied quietly.

“Sorry for yelling sweetheart...” We headed to his house and straight up to his room where Max began the seemingly hopeless search for his phone. His room was a mess. He managed to find it in his underwear draw, asking me not to question why.

“Okay, Robert first,” He dialled and waited. A shock of relief filled me when Max answered back to someone. He then called Bryan and Craig. “Craig, how’s it goin’?” he asked. “...What!? Why!? Craig, can you please come over now?...Because it’s important...I don’t care if you’re with Ronnie...Because I want you!” I heard the laughter over the phone. “Not like that, gees, you wish...Please Craig?...Okay sure, I’ll do it...Yes! Now hurry up.” He hung up. He’d told all the guys to meet him here as soon as possible.

“What was that about with Craig?” I asked.

“He’s with Ronnie...” We both went silent for a moment.

“He’ll be fine,” I reassured Max. He smiled.

“I have to do his math homework for him now as payment for demanding he come over,” Max sighed. “Are you any good at math?” I laughed and shook my head.

“Damn!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is super short :S
Another update sometime next week :)