This Is The Dawning Of The Rest Of Our Lives

Chapter XVIII - A New Start

“Jessica?” my mom called, knocking on the door.
“Hmm? What is it?” I asked, stopping to play on Tré’s guitar. The door opened and mom came in with a big smile on her face.
“I found a place to stay!” she said excitedly. I smiled.
“That’s great…where is it? What’s it like?” I asked.
“It’s a few streets away…something like we used to have, only smaller. But it’ll do until we find something permanent. Isn’t it great?” she asked happily. I nodded and smiled again, but as mom disappeared downstairs, my face fell.
“Jessie?” Tré asked, looking at me, gently taking the guitar, putting it aside so he could move closer to me. “What’s wrong?” he added, sitting further onto the bed, pulling me against him, his legs on either side of me. I shrugged and swallowed.
“I dunno,” I mumbled, leaning back against him, tears rolling down my cheeks.
“Shh, don’t worry about it,” he said softly. I swallowed again and grimaced as my stomach started hurting like hell. Oh the joy of being a girl…
Tré gently wiped away my tears and I buried my face in his chest, feeling how his hand softly stroked my side.
“It’ll be fine Jessie, you’ll see,” he cooed, “you’ll only be a few streets away, so we’ll see each other real often. The only difference is that you’ll have your own room again, with your own stuff…your own bed,” he added. I could almost hear him smirk, which made me smile through my tears. Listening to him talk like that, slightly rocking back and forth, maybe not even really hearing what he said, made me feel better. I felt like a little kid, curled up against him, it made me feel really safe. We sat like that for a while, Tré just kept talking softly, making me smile every now and then, and even giggle at one point. He looked at me and smiled.
“That’s better,” he said, stroking my cheek. I smiled a bit.
“I’m sorry…” I muttered softly.
“Don’t worry about it okay? You’re smiling again, that’s the main point. I like to see you smile, youknow,” he said. I chuckled.
“Thanks,” I said, wrapping my arms around him, leaning my head against his chest. He placed a kiss on my hair and I closed my eyes for a moment.
“I love you,” I whispered, looking at him. He smiled and looked back at me.
“I love you too, Jessie,” he said softly, gently stroking my back. I smiled too before softly kissing him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

TRÉ’S POV

I pulled her close against me, stroking her hair and rubbing her back.
Suddenly, the phone rang, and Jessie pulled back, startled. I jumped a bit.
“Geez,” I said, taking a deep breath, “Stupid thing.”
Jessie laughed.
“FRANK!” my mom called. I rolled my eyes.
“WHAT?”
“Billie’s on the phone!”
My eyes widened.
“Fuck,” I swore.
“What?” Jessie asked, looking at me.
“Band practice…I forgot all about it…”
“Well go talk to Billie then!” she urged, nodding to the door.
“Yeah,” I said, getting up and quickly walking to the phone, taking it over from my mom.
“Bill?” I asked.
“BILLIE!” he snapped.
“Heya dude,”
“You’re half an hour late, you know that?” he asked, annoyed.
“I know, I know, I’m on my way.”
“Seems to me like you’re on the phone…”
“I get it Bill, geez,”
“It’s BILLIE!”