Your Average 19 year Old

Chapter 17

Chapter 17
Of course at that point Jackson woke up screaming. I picked him up and rocked him gently. It started pouring outside and the wind got stronger. I figured I’d try to call Abby to see where she was. I got my cell and dialed her cell number.
“Hey, you got my voice mail, duh! Leave a message!” her voice mail said.
“Abby, where are you? Did you happen to look outside? COME” the phone cut out. “Great.” I said looking down at Jackson who was asleep again. I smiled as the rain poured harder and went into my bed and fell asleep.
I woke up to pounding on the door. I ran to it hoping it was Abby, or even better Gerard coming to rescue me; but it wasn’t either of them. It was Abby’s neighbor from the first floor, Annie and her daughter Maggie.
“Hi, I’m sorry… but our apartment is flooding, can we come up here? Please?” Annie asked wide eyed.
“Oh course. Come in. Did you bring anything you’ll need?”
“Yes, we packed quickly.” Annie said ushering her one year old into the room. They had blankets, pillows, and water bottles, bags of chips a TV with a VCR that ran on batteries, videos, batteries, clothes, diapers, and different books.
“Wow, you’re prepared.” I said smiling closing the door.
“First rule of living in Orleans.” Annie said sitting down and putting Maggie in her lap.
“Aren’t you scared? I’m ready to pee my pants.” I said taking Jackson and sitting next to her.
“Nah, it will pass.” She said.
“But you’re apartment is flooded.” I said taking a potato chip from her.
“Second rule of living in Orleans, never take the first floor apartment.” She said lighting a cigarette.
“Please.” I said taking it from her and smashing it. “It’s not good for the babies and I’m pregnant. I get enough smoke from my boyfriend.”
“Oh, that’s right… you’re Abby’s friend who’s dating Gerard Way.” I blushed and nodded my head.
“He’s hot.” She said nodding agreement with herself.
“Sure is.” I agreed.
“Is he really that crazy?”
“What do you mean?”
“Like he is on stage.” I laughed and shook my head.
“No. That’s just how he acts on stage. He really is a calm person.” I said smiling.
“Do you have any pictures of you two with you?” I thought for a minute.
“I do.” I said getting up and waking Jackson. I grabbed the framed picture from my suitcase and handed it to her.
“When was this taken?”
“Their second concert I went to.” I said smiling.
I stood and listened as they played their last song of the night. “Demotion Lovers”. I was by myself this time. Abby had met a boy and decided to go out with him instead of going with me to a FREE concert. I had become good friends with Gerard since the first time I met him. I was eighteen now and was in the back, I didn’t need to be front row I would go see them afterwards. I was wearing ripped jeans, a MCR shirt, lots of eyeliner, and my chucks.
“Ok, you all can leave now!” Gerard yelled to the crowd once the song was finished. People booed. “I know I know…. I’m just so hot you can’t help yourselves. BUT GO HOME!” he yelled. They ran off the stage laughing like school girls. I walked over to the side of the stage letting people push me.
“With the band.” I said to the guard flashing him my pass.
“With the band.” Some girl said trying to get backstage and ended up getting pushed by the guard and other fans. I tried not to laugh, but I did anyways. I walked all the way down the hall and outside where I knew they’d be. They weren’t there yet so I slid to the ground with my back against the wall.
“Is this wall taken?”
“Yes.” I said laying on the ground my hair at Gerard’s feet.
“You never know what happened to that ground.” He said smiling down at me.
“Ew!” I said sitting up again. He slid down next to me.
“So how old are you now?” he asked lighting a cigarette.
“Eighteen, you know that Gee.” I said stealing his cigarette and taking a quick puff, and then getting a huge coughing fit.
“That was your first smoke wasn’t it?” he said with an amused look on his face.
Cough “No!” cough.
“Admit it!” he cried.
“Fine! That was my first smoke and I’m never doing it again.” I said coughing one last time. Gerard stamped out his cigarette and sighed.
“What?” I asked.
“Nothing.” He said pushing my shoulder.
“No. Tell me.” I said pushing his shoulder back.
“I just can’t believe I’m interested in an 18 year old.” He said winking at me.
“I can’t believe I’m falling for a 22 year old.” I said standing up. He pulled be back down.
“Can I take you to dinner than?” he asked looking in my eyes.
“Yes.” I said smiling and sitting back down, he took me in his arms.
“Did we play any of your favorite songs?” he whispered in my ear.
“Yes, Demotion Lovers.” I said smiling.
“Hand in mine, into your icy blues
And then I said to you we could take to the highway
With this trunk of ammunition too
I’d end my days with you in a hail of bullets.” He sang quietly into my ear, my own privet show.
“I’m trying, I’m trying
To let you know just how much you mean to me
And after all the things we put each other through and” he rubbed my arms lightly singing all the time.
“I would drive on to the end with you
A liquor store or two keeps the gas tank full
And I feel like there’s nothing else to do
But prove myself to you and we’ll keep it running.” He said kissing my temple.
“Is this how you make all the other girls go out with you?” I asked looking at him.
“What other girls?” he said leaning in to kiss me.
“Hey!” Frankie said when our lips were two inches away from each other’s. “Picture time!” he said taking out a camera and took a picture of me sitting on Gerard’s lap.