Your Average 19 year Old

Chapter 18

Chapter 18
<<Gerard’s Point of view>>
“Hey…. Gee…. You need to see this.” Mikey said softly waking me up.
“Five more minutes, I’m with Maira.” I said wanting my dream of Maira walking down the church isle in a beautiful wedding gown stay with me a little longer.
“Gee, wake up. This is about Maira.” He said lifting the covers off of me.
“WHAT MIKEY?” I asked looking at him, he looked sad. “What Mikey?” I asked nicer.
“It’s Maira, something’s happened.”
“Oh God! Please tell me she and the baby are ok.” I said tears forming in my eyes.
“We don’t know.” Mikey said leading me to the TV. Everyone was crowded around it with sad faces.
“This is what is left of the French Quarter.” A news cast women said showing a picture of buildings half under water. “Hurricane Katrina came ripping though and is now gone, President Bush has called a state of emergency and National Guardsmen are heading down now to look for survivors who didn’t get out in time.” Survivors, survivors. The word echoed in my head.
“No,” I said looking at the screen. “Not my Bella, not my baby.” I said looking at the screen blankly.
<<Back to Maira (No she’s not dead!)>>
I woke up to water right below the window. Abby still wasn’t there. I ran to the door to see if maybe she was outside the door. The water lapped the top of the stairs, and there was Abby lying on the floor soaked.
“Abby.” I said quietly. I picked her up she was freezing. I brought her into the room and started to take off her wet clothes and find dry ones. Once I put dry clothes on I wrapped a blanket around her and put her in her bed with Jackson in her arms. I took a water bottle and the hotplate I found yesterday before Annie and I had fallen asleep to the rain pounding on the windows, poured the water into a mug and put it on the hotplate to make it hot, when it was hot I put a tea bag in it and brought it over to Abby. Lifting it gently to her lips I titled it back a little so just a little seeped down her throat. Her eyes fluttered and opened.
“Abby!” I said hugging her.
“Maira.” She said softly. “Jackson, god I thought I’d never see him again.” She said kissing the top of his head.
“What happened?” I asked helping to lie back down.
“I left work around five when it started to pour, the dam’s breaking so the water started to get higher as I drove back. Soon I had to leave my car and swim, I was so afraid an alligator was going to eat me. I think I saw one. I finally made it in to the apartment by a second floor window. I banged on the door for like an hour; but I don’t think you could hear it over the rain.” She said snuggling deeper into the covers.
“Well, you’re here now, that’s all that matters.” I said smiling. My smiled faded and left my face.
“What’s wrong?” Annie asked walking over to us.
“I’m- I’m worried about Gee.” I said putting my head to my hands and sobbing quietly.
<<Gerard’s Point of View>>
I looked out the window of the bus as we drove. I didn’t know how long I had been awake for but it was night again and the stars were shinning brightly above the bus. We had a show in two hours; I wasn’t in the mood to rock though. I looked down at the picture that was in my hand.
“Come in!” I called after the show. Maira and I had been dating for two months and I had sent her a ticket to California for a show, I hadn’t seen her in six weeks and I was going crazy. Maira walked in with short black hair.
“Do you like it?” she asked spinning for me.
“Love it.” I said taking her in my arms and spinning around. “How’s school?”
“Schoolish… boring. I’m going to be a senior next year so I shouldn’t complain.” She said kissing me.
“I missed you.” I said bringing her over to the couch.
“I missed you too.” She said cuddling up next to me. She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with brown boots that made her three inches taller. I loved the way her clothes fell on her, because she was so small she always had to get petite sizes.
“Tonight I was thinking we could go out to dinner with the band, they all missed you and Frank and Mikey’s girlfriends are here.” I said twisting her hair around my finger.
“What are their names?” she asked braiding a small section of my hair.
“Hannah and Crystal.” I said.
“That’s cool.” She said standing up and holding out her hand. We drove to the restaurant where everyone else was.
“You guys remember Maira right?” I asked the guys.
“Oh course.” Bob said coming over to Maira and giving her a friendly hug.
“This is Hannah.” I said pointing to the girl with blond hair and light pink highlights. “And this is Crystal.” I said pointing to the girl with black hair and red highlights.
“Nice to meet you.” Maira said shaking Hannah and Crystal’s hand.
The girls had been talking all night; I wanted my pint size back! I could tell Frankie and Mikey wanted their girlfriends back too so I walked over to the group of girls giggling and put my arm around Maira’s waist. She continued to talk but rested her head on my shoulder. Mikey and Frankie came up behind Crystal and Hannah and did the same.
“Picture time!” Bob said pointing a camera at us. We all got together, Maira and me in the middle with Frankie and Crystal to our left and Mikey and Hannah to our right. We smiled and the flash went off. We continued to talk to hang out at the restaurant until Maira had to head back to her hotel to make her flight back to New York. I didn’t want to let her go but she was coming on tour with us this summer, so I told her to come to my hotel room two floors above hers before she left to say goodbye to me.
“Gerard, it’s time to get ready.” Ray said interrupting my thoughts.
“Ok.” I said putting the picture of Hannah, Crystal, and Frankie, Mikey, me, and Maira back on my night stand.