Baby, We Have Eternity

He's a Mess

A knock came at my door.

I went to open it, unsure who to expect.

Spencer, Jon, and Michael barged in as soon as I pulled the door open.

“What are you guys doing?” I demanded, laughing as Spencer and Jon climbed onto my bed and proceeded to start jumping on it.

“Keeping you company,” Jon stated, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“Where’s Ryan and – where’s Ryan?” I corrected myself hastily. Michael noticed.

“Ryan went hunting with Brendon,” he answered.

“God, Han, what do you do all the time?” Spencer asked, now flopping down onto my bed next to Jon, who had already stopped jumping. “There’s nothing to do in here, and you’re always gone when we come to hang out with you.”

“Yeah, Hanna. Where do you go all the time?” Michael asked, frowning. I glanced at his serious face and looked away. He was staring at me as if he could extract the answer from my eyes.

I shakily laughed it off, noticing that Spencer and Jon were also waiting for an answer.

“You know. Around,” I answered vaguely. He continued to stare.

“Right,” he said, with another look that told me he would drop it for now.

I changed the subject and we talked for a few hours about everything except why I was avoiding everyone.

Jon and Spencer eventually left, but Michael defiantly stayed.

“Hanna, is something wrong?” he asked, as the door shut behind Spence and Jon.

“I’m fine, Michael,” I replied, sighing.

“Why won’t you talk to Brendon?” he continued, still looking concerned. “Are you mad at him?”

“No,” I said.

“So, what then? He’s been beating himself up over nothing?” I glanced at him, startled.

“What do you mean?”

“He’s a mess, Hanna. He thinks you’re mad at him, that he did something wrong.”

I avoided his eyes, now feeling like a horrible person. I mean, vampire…whatever.

“Hanna, you can tell me anything,” he stated, almost pleading.

“I…I can’t, Michael!” I blurted out. “You don’t understand!”

“I’m trying to, Hanna, or don’t you see that?” he exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air in frustration.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized quietly.

“Well, I’m not the one you should be apologizing to, am I?" he pointed out, before leaving my room.

He was right.